Jehovah's Witness juror - “The actions of this juror are a complete disgrace,” said Prince George’s County State’s Attorney Angela Alsobrooks.

by Sol Reform 51 Replies latest social current

• man in black
    man in black

Back in the early 80's there was an elder from a neighboring hall who was called up for jury duty.

He was older, and really full of himself.

during jury selection, he stood up and gave a real long explaination why a jw could not serve on a jury

his story was on the front page of the local newspaper

witnesses were crowing about his "wonderful example" for the longest time.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

JW Juror, "judging others was a violation of her religion as a Jehovah's Witness"

I guess she never heard of elders serving on a JUDICIAL COMMITTEE!

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

"judging others was a violation is a requirement of her religion as a Jehovah's Witness"

It would be nice if she'd at least be honest....

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

My mom was in a grand jury for about 2 years! (It got extended twice, I think) BTW, she enjoyed the perks, too-2x a month spending two nites in a lux hotel in the city with a pier diem. Sweet. She also took her role very seriously. No one told her she couldn't/shouldn't be on it. OTOH, I remember she did ask at the beginning and was told it was up to her conscience. She went with it and got no further grief about it.

I'm proud she did it and I respect that she did it. GO MOM!!

• TD
    TD
    during jury selection, he stood up and gave a real long explaination why a jw could not serve on a jury

Funny. It has been a "conscience matter" since the early 70's

• adamah
    adamah

JW Juror, "judging others was a violation of her religion as a Jehovah's Witness"

Oubliette said: I guess she never heard of elders serving on a JUDICIAL COMMITTEE!

Yes, but we're all forgetting that she's a woman, and as you well know, WOMEN are not allowed to serve as elders, or to judge the other members of the group by serving on JCs. Such heady work is for the men-folk, ONLY!

So if called before the judge to explain her contempt of court, she could perhaps rely on a misogyny defense of her bigoted JW culture and upbringing, then plead temporary insanity during the jury selection process which prevented her from voicing her inability to serve in the heady role.

After all, JWs are obviously prone to the power of obedience to authority figures and the group, going with the flow to avoid disapproval of their superiors and peers. She likely felt conflicted by the discrepancy of following Caesar's laws and God's laws as a conscience matter, and this is the kind of goofiness that results when foggy-brained individuals allow nonsensical misogynistic concepts to be taken seriously and enter into their brains, hamstringing their cognitive thinking capabilities....

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

If the woman, while being vetted for j.d. disclosed she would not judge anyone, she probably would have been dismissed from the case.

The fact that she remained a jury member during the trial and then waited until they were to decide the case to notify the court of her belief , she wasted the courts time and money, showed a lack of respect to the superior authorities and has brought reproach on Jehovah and JW' s everywhere!!

• steve2
    steve2

Rebel8 in answer to your question about why the jurors were asked at the outset whether they were unable to serve due to their religious beliefs: In some countries and states (e.g. Australia, New Zealand, Britain - these are 3 I know of), one of the grounds for being excused from duty is religious affiliation.What makes this otherwise newsworthy is the juror's belated "conscience" pang - especially since the organization "allows" Witnesses to follow their conscience - although the weighting of the offical Watchtower literature on the topic is towards declining to serve.

To be charitable towards this Witness, she may naively have thought she could do it - but somewhere along the line had serious pangs. Oh, yes she deserves a blast from the judge because her actions have cost the Courts lots of money, to say nothing of a thwarted trial. Well, this may add to her store of experiences that convince her she has the truth. However, I guess this is one piece of publicity that won't be trumpeted in Watchtower publications.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

We don't judge people, only Jehovah can read our hearts and judge!

Now welcome to your judicial commmitee....

I myself Dave (car salesman), Tom (window cleaner) and Mike (retired painter) will hear you describe in detail, your sexual encounter with a partner you cliam to love, and then after hearing every single sexual detail, we will let you know whether you can ever see your family or friends again, please take a seat. By the way, recording equipment and legal representation are forbidden. Now lets start with a prayer.....

• BU2B
    BU2B

What a fine witness this is to the local press, fellow Jurors, the Judge and all who read the article. This will just make more want to flock to the truth!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit