District Assemblies and Circuit Assemblies getting farther away from home

by never a jw 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• never a jw
    never a jw

20 years ago the DA's were in Dodger Stadium, 10-15 minute drive from home (east part of San Fernando Valley, Los Angeles area). Then moved to Long Beach, 45 minute drive. Now in 2014 they are moving to San Diego, 2 1/2 hr drive. The distances to D.A.'s are getting longer.

Same thing is happening to C.A.'s. The Watchtower owned a C.A. hall sitting in a very expensive piece of land that was close to home. They sold it many years ago (I am sure for many millions). Going to that hall was just 1/2 hour drive for my family. After the sale of that hall, my family has had to drive to the Norco circuit assembly hall, which is sitting on a cheap piece of land that may have cost less than a million, but it's 1 hr and 15 minute drive for my family.

Oh well, my consolation is that my nephew has to drive from Los Angeles to San Francisco to attend his D.A. in portuguese. That is a six hour drive.

The extra cost of gasoline and lodging in some cases far outweighs the savings of the WTS. Not to mention the huge increase in pollution resulting from the extra driving. I guess the WTS is just as responsible, if not more, for ruining the earth.

Is the WT running out of money, or they are finding new ways to keep more at the expense of the rank and file and the planet.

• designs
    designs

I remember that Assembly Hall in San Fernando Valley. The Wt. made some $$$ on that one.

I heard the San Diego Qualcom Stadium sold to a private investment group and no DA has been booked this year, true?

• never a jw
    never a jw

Designs,

My brother, a JW, just told me that their D.A.'s are going to San Diego now. He belongs to a Spanish circuit in the east part of the San Fernando Valley. I don't know where they are holding the assembly though. They were held for many years in Long Beach. I heard a story that the WT had traded consrruction labor for many years of use of the Sports Arena in Long Beach. I suppose, the benefits from that trade ran out. My wife is a JW. She will have to hear what I think about her spending even more money in gasoline, lodging and donation for a group of people who have lied to her, who are perfectly willing to let her die in a hospital, and would abandon her (shun) at the first attempt to disagree or complain.

• losingit
    losingit

We've travelled 4 hours to get to an assembly in the past. So happy I'm out! No more ridiculous trips to places I could care less tp visit to hear demeaning, demoralizing, and dreadful talks.

• designs
    designs

never- Interesting about Long Beach. I was "in" when all of that donated labor bought them a good contract with city officials. I guess San Diego is the new home now.

• mariu
    mariu

I've noticed that they're "centralising" many of the events in Europe as well. From a business perspective it all makes sense.

Actually, I think what they've been pulling off in the past couple of years has been a quite spectacular transformation for an organisation of this size: branch closures and sales, the HQ real estate flip, streamlining the whole convention circus, moving toward online publication, and so on. Cut costs, unfreeze assets, get cash flows up. If this were a regular business, we'd read about it in some glossy magazine with nice pictures of the manager(s) responsible for it.

I'm beginning to wonder if they took on some McKinsey or BCG consultants to plan and drive all this stuff - it's just their kind of pattern. Under a very strict NDA of course, as things are of course driven by the Spirit and JC himself and not worldly businessmen.

• designs
    designs

mariu- to the devoted this will seem like an adventure. The BIG International Assemblies of the 1950s and 1960s were like that.

• whatzup
    whatzup

I attend a Spanish congregation here near Long Beach. Our congregation and many others are being assigned to San Diego as well. I think half of the publishers wont be able to go to San Diego cause they are illegal immigrants. ( Not that I have and issue with their status) But there is one brother that thinks that he is too spiritual and an exemple for the rest. Also he is an spy for the elders. I guess he will have to go somewhere else cause he cant go to San Diego. Thanks God I wont see him there.

• wearewatchingyouman
    wearewatchingyouman

I heard the San Diego Qualcom Stadium sold to a private investment group and no DA has been booked this year, true?

No, Qualcomm was not sold. It's owned by the City of San Diego. The WBT$ invested a lot of money and construction labor into the remodel of Jack Murphy Stadium in it's transition into Qualcomm. As a result they get a killer deal on the rental. They're not going anywhere.

20 years ago the DA's were in Dodger Stadium, 10-15 minute drive from home (east part of San Fernando Valley, Los Angeles area). Then moved to Long Beach, 45 minute drive. Now in 2014 they are moving to San Diego, 2 1/2 hr drive. The distances to D.A.'s are getting longer.

Well, we used to have to drive to Dodger Stadium from San Diego back in the day. So now it's your guys' turn

• designs
    designs

whatzup- That's right- Immigration checkpoints on the 5 and 15 Freeways yikes!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit