Do you have something to prove?

by freeflyingfaerie 12 Replies latest jw friends

• freeflyingfaerie
    freeflyingfaerie

Sometimes I have to recheck my motives for doing things.

Sometimes I do things for the pure joy of it...dance, yoga, nature walk, listen to music, read something interesting, etc

But, sometimes when I am engaged in something, like college studies(which I do for the end result and also enrichment), I get flashes of my past that creep in that remind me of a negative message, and it makes me wonder if one of my motives is to also prove something about my self. At times I recall my ex-husband calling me 'stupid' or 'dumb'. And I search my mind for evidence to counter this, and say to my self: 'of course that's not true, I'm doing very well in school, always have' or 'I realize that those words were tools to tear me down and were untrue'. But, I still feel sometimes that I have to 'prove' that I'm intelligent, for example. Damn, words can hurt.

Another example~ sometimes I don't tell the complete truth when my family calls and asks how I'm doing. Over the past five yrs, since I left the religion, I have had some really good times and feel liberated and never look back. But, it has also been extremely difficult at times to create a social life and to heal from the losses. I've expressed a bit about my hurt to my family, but mostly I say that I'm good. Why? Well, much of the time it's true, but really it's because i don't want them to imagine that leaving the religion is a bad thing and only leads to misery. They cannot grasp that the religion itself is what sets people up for having a difficult time of it once they leave. The religion cripples people mentally, emotionally, socially.

So, whatever abuses I have received have left me with some heaviness. I realize that the only person that I have anything to prove to is my self. There are those times, though, when justice and then also acceptance and validation from others would feel good. Sometimes I don't want to have to be so strong. I long for kindness.

~Faerie

• happy@last
    happy@last

Faerie, I understand what you mean, don't worry. It sounds like you are a strong well rounded person and are proving that. Remember you have survived, you're a survivor and I hope one day everything slots into place for you.

• insearchoftruth4
    insearchoftruth4

Hello Faerie.. "I long for kindness"......wow

Las Vegas used to be my home and probably knew hundreds of JWs there, but not even one anymore including relatives..

Can't say much here because of lurking a$$holes..Not that I hate them, I just don't have nothing to say to any of them..

Feel Free to pm..

insot4

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

FAERIE - You're not alone!! Many, many, active Witnesses - including "glorious, spirit appointed ones" - are going through turmoils the same as you and me! And just think what many elders are having to endure because they can see how "dark" and controlling the Org has become in recent years!

Would rather be in their shoes, with all that they stand to lose? Each of us has our own load to bear and have to deal with it in a way that suits us, not other people!

Fill your life with love - by loving yourself and ALL whom you meet - because love is a life-changing emotion!

Look for the good in yourself, and share it.

• Fernando
    Fernando

One imagines we all yearn for kindness.

I'm wondering if it is fair to observe that while few know how to initiate kindness, most know how to reciprocate.

If so, "all" we have to do is continually spread kindness to receive it back.

• freeflyingfaerie
    freeflyingfaerie

Thanks all~

I am feeling a bit blue at the moment and thought I'd get some of it out to complete strangers that also used to be my instant 'friends'.. international 'brothers and sisters'.

...this too shall pass

• flipper
    flipper

FAERIE- I totally understand how you feel . I had an elder dad who raised me up in the Witnesses and NEVER gave me a compliment growing up. I cannot count on one finger let alone two fingers when the man ever commended me for anything actually. So I wasted many years trying to live up to his " expectations " for me- when there was NOTHING that would ever elicit a " well done " or " good job " from him- nothing. So as years went by finally by the time I was 40 yrs.old about 14 years ago I decided, what the hell - I have lots of good qualities and I'm not gonna waste my time living up to some a-hole dad's expectations. So now at age 54 I feel better about myself- in fact MUCH better ! In fact I've proven things only to MYSELF because I realize that deep down I have a lot more character than my JW dad ever did. So you'll prove that to yourself as well my friend. That all the hard work you've been doing and accomplishing is meant for YOU - and in the end YOU are the only one you have to prove anything to. Nobody else matters. By proving these things to yourself you will build a stronger self esteem and if someone pays you a compliment you graciously accept it- but in the final analysis it's YOUR estimation of yourself that matters and counts. Hang in there, we love you

• freeflyingfaerie
    freeflyingfaerie

Thank you, flipper~

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

Quite a touching post. In the words of Scarlett, "Tomorrow is another day". I hope you find some peace. I have replaced JW "friends" with those I have met volunteering and at bookclub. It takes time, but these are people that have been there more for me than any JW. My still in family sees how well we are doing as they are on my Facebook. Yes, I feel a need to point it out that we are enjoying life. Wishing you well.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

It's better to put on a brave face for your witness relatives, "fake it till you make it", so they don't claim Satan is making your life miserable.

I know what you mean about something to prove. I think everyone does it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit