1914 countdown card in 2014 Yearbook

by jwfacts 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The 2014 Yearbook has a scan of the 1914 countdown card. It does not say whether this was published by the Watchtower or independently, so please let me know if you have any further information about it.

In typical offensive fashion, the Yearbook blames the members rather than themselves for the false expectations held for 1914.

“Some Bible Students even carried a countdown card so that they could mark off each passing day. Many felt that they would be called beyond the veil, or to heaven, on that date.” Yearbook 2014 p.174

• Londo111
    Londo111

marked

• smiddy
    smiddy

Interesting , I`ve never seen or heard of that one before. The fact that the 1914 yearbook makes mention of it is fascinating.

smiddy

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

It surprises me that they admit it. That they did it comes as no surprise to a woman who grew up in a congregation that, after 1975 were so desperate to find a new pull date that they speculated about how significant it was that the doomsday clock moved forward a few minutes. I think there was a lot of movement early 80's.

And, I bet the little chart was provided in one of the WT publications.

• Captain Blithering
    Captain Blithering

Interesting , never seen this before. . . Of COURSE "many believed " they were going beyond the veil, they were TOLD that's what would happen . . That's like saying "many believed" the FaDS were all of the anointed pre 2013...

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

are they trying to move away from 1914 already?

• KiddingMe
    KiddingMe

Marked

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

I'm surprised they are calling attention to it. I often wonder if the GB is completely deluded Or do they even see things before they go to print.

Either way, thanks for sharing. I used to love getting the new Yearbook and checking stats.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Hm. I've never seen this before either. Could Barbara Anderson help?

Blaming the members again, yes.

One example of how a lot of heads were messed with at the time as 1914 approached:

'We're not positive, but it is proven, but it's up to you whether you accept or reject the facts, and anyway events seem to be fulfilling our expectations.' What's a loyal Bible Student supposed to think?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

That just shows me where Freddie Franz got his method from, do you remember his "1975" talk and his oft repeated phrase "we are not saying" ?

He must have learned a bit from Russell's gaff, above, Freddie did not say "if we are here in 1976 we must have made some mistake".

I don't think Freddie ever admitted his mistakes.

1914 is getting to be as embarrassing to the WT as 1925 did, but they simply are too hand-cuffed to it to bury it, at the moment.

Just watch them do so over the next decade.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit