"Streetwork" in Rancho Cucamonga

by r51785 14 Replies latest jw friends

• r51785
    r51785

There they were... Three members of Jehovah's one true holy earthly organization standing at a deserted corner of the shopping center at the corner of Fourth and Vineyard. Fifty feet away was a busy entrance to a Ralph's Supermarket, but they chose to stand in front of empty store fronts. They were busy in conversation -- with each other. You see no one walked by where they were. Do you suppose they stood there for a reason? I watched them from inside a nearby restaurant where I had breakfast with some friends. In the hour I was there I don't think they talked to anyone but each other. Except for the fact that they held WT magazines (well two of them did) you would have had no way of knowing what they were doing. Not a very efficient way to spread the warning about the impending doom of this wicked system of things. Not a very efficient way of sharing the message of salvation with the hapless worldlings who hurried in and out of Ralph's. Not a very efficient way to vindicate Jehovah's name.

Maybe this religion is just a social thing...

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

I really think most Witnesses hate the witnessing work, they just do it to get all the other wondrous benefits. :-))
    Randy

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

We're all just 'birdfood'anyway, why waste time with us when they can talk to each other?

<sigh>

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

LOL. That's about 2 miles from where I work and I've seen them too!

I love it!

BTW, e-mail me. Maybe we know each other.

• blondie
    blondie

While the Watchtower says "go where the people are" obviously they "go where the people aren't." I know of those who go door to door during the day when most people are at work. They "get their time in" but don't have to do anything, except go on coffee breaks and have nice gossipy chats with each other shredding the reputations of anyone not lucky to be there in the car. Of course, only with the view of encouraging or helping those ones, not.

There also is the technique of making return visits from one end of the territory to the other rather than making them in one central area. Or making a phone call to a RV who won't be home and then driving to a territory on the edge of the congregation's assigned territory.

Getting your time in is the only thing that matters.

• Dawn
    Dawn

Oh I am soooooooooo glad to be done with that!!

• ignored_one
    ignored_one

I've got friends, (well, maybe not friends, not spoken to them in ages) who live there. Does anyone know the Johnsons? Randy and Barbara, daughter named Carley? Still JWs as far as I know.

Ignored One.

• simplesally
    simplesally

We used to call that "Totem Pole" witnessing. Circuit Overseer said it shouldn't be done.... no standing around waiting for people to come up to you, that you should be on the move, handing them out to others, a quick "Here's your copy of the latest magazines"... and be done with it, people are busy trying to get to work or get coffee.

Then after we lost that CO, the elderette in the hall demanded that if you were late to street work, that you must wait on the corner of a certain street. The SO said to just hold your mags out so you could count your time. Totally against what the CO said!! Another pioneer and I used to say we were going to be out at 7:30am instead of 7am and we would take the front route or back route from 7:30 onward.... but the elderette said NO, we had to be out at 7am or do the totem pole thing. Instead of obeying her, we said "Fine, we just won't go out early morning anymore. You can be the driver for the nondrivers ALL the time!" Oh boy was she mad!

• r51785
    r51785
    LOL. That's about 2 miles from where I work and I've seen them too!
    I love it!

BTW, e-mail me. Maybe we know each other.

BlueSapphire, I spent my JW days in San Diego, so I don't know anyone in the Inland Empire. BTW I work in the next building east of the Mira Loma Assembly Hall. The restaurant I had breakfast in is called Zeke's. I've noticed dubs in there having breakfast as well as doing the "wooden Indian Routine" outside.

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

I really do think for most witnesses it is all about the time. I know for myself it was.
    Leslie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit