Important: The Nocebo Effect

by metatron 11 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

I believe that the stress of the JW life, and the feelings of low self esteem because you are never doing enough contribute to these illnesses. Something that compounds these illnesses is called "secondary gain." This is a fancy way of saying that there is a reward for being sick. It allows a person to miss meetings and field service without feeling guilty. Therefore, there is little motivation for a person to try to overcome the illness.

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

I agree with all the postings that stress and feelings of inadequecy leads not only to illness but also depression. Many JW's have signs of mental health issues. Of course, not that most would go to a professional for help, but in my old cong everyone sure talked alot about them.

It is very difficult to live as a good JW and feel genuine happiness and being carefree. Your every move is monitored. Your thinking, your senses.

I don't know about anyone else here, but I saw such competition with the "friends." I have to admit that being a pioneer, elders wife, yadda yadda yadda what I put my kids through just to make sure they were setting the right example is enough to make me go into hiding. So many activites were done for show. Add to what you have to tolerate if you are a woman in a male dominated religion. Enough to make anyone sick. Makes me want to heave just thinking about it.
    Leslie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit