Important: The Nocebo Effect

by metatron 11 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

Can a person make themselves sick by their beliefs?

This is called the "nocebo" effect and it's getting some critical
    attention by researchers.

www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A2709-2002Apr29.html

If that isn't right, try a web search on nocebo.

This could be very important especially for Witnesses caught up
    in an oppressive atmosphere as they are.

I have known far too many JW's with strange chronic, hard to
    define illnesses to doubt that beliefs can create sickness.

metatron

• Matty
    Matty

Yes that is spot on. How many witnesses do you know with ME (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis - whoa - AKA Chronic Fatigue Syndrome)? It seems like an epidemic.

Its become a standing joke amongst the brothers and sisters that ME stands for "Ministry Exempt" in that those with the condition are allowed to be inactive but aren't pestered by Elders about it.

• dmouse
    dmouse

Well I don't know about them, but their beliefs certainly make me wanna puke!

• LDH
    LDH

LOL Dean.

Lisa

• Teirce
    Teirce

I knew a few pioneers with fibromyalgia (sp?), which I understand is associated with the mentioned condition, and/or with hypertension.

• Xander
    Xander

LOL! Yeah, they are about the most sickly bunch of people I've ever know.

My mom and every last one of her friends were on various meds. ALL the pioneers in our hall had various conditions. EVERYBODY had CFS. Or, TMJ. You know, whichever condition the Awake just ran an article on. [8>] "Oh, yes, I have that condition, too. I just never knew it! Thanks to the Awake for providing food at the proper time! [8>][8>]"

Of course, they felt that it was Satan persecuting them, so they felt very self-righteous complaining about all their medical faults. Sort of a 'sickest must be holiest' thing going on. Which, of course, led to a LOT of them making up their illnesses in their mind.

Xander F
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Ohio order)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

• simwitness
    simwitness

What is :

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis - whoa - AKA Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    Anywhere to get basic info on this?

???

• Matty
    Matty

http://www.meassociation.org.uk is one.

If you talked about CFS in the UK, nobody would know what you are talking about. The articles in the Awake! didn't translate too well this side of the Atlantic. Anyway, ME and CFS are exactly the same.

To be honest, I think a lot of it stems from depression, feelings of inadequacy. I've often felt really down during my life - a total worthlessness feeling, i.e. I'm not the model witness my parents want me to be. This can make you feel genuinely ill - god knows it's certainly made me feel ill!

Anyway, these feelings of inadequacy can easily spiral down into illness. It seems more common with women. No wonder - I particularly feel for the sisters - they are so oppressed by their husbands and all that "headship" crap.

Agoraphobia is another one. Lots of brothers & sisters have that.

I want to make it clear that in no way do I feel their suffering isn't genuine - brothers and sisters in the hall often feel like that though - you can imagine the snidey comments can't you?

To be quite honest though, what is really wrong with a great deal of them is something they cannot say openly without getting into trouble. Giving it a medical title transfers the blame.

• og
    og

My wife has "environmental allergies"... I love her, but I've spent too many hours of my life dealing with things that she smells that I don't.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

This is interesting. My father was diagnosed with CFS a few years ago. He also has major allergies to a lot of foods. When he veers from his strict diet his CFS supposedly goes into overdrive. I have those same food allergies (wheat, gluten, yeast, possibly dairy) but don't seem to have the symptoms of CFS.

I've wondered how much of it he's just using as an excuse to not do something he's supposed to do. (Meetings, field service, talks, etc.)

Andi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit