ARE YOU AN ANGRY and BITTER APOSTATE?

by Hummingbird001 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Hummingbird001
    Hummingbird001

I have noticed that there are different reactions to learning the "truth about the truth". Some become quite bitter and angry and become very activist. Others seem to just move on quite easily.

When I first learned of the many scandals and cover-ups in the WT, it didnt make me angry. I just thought "Huh. Well at least now I know." I was also able to put any guilt and fear to rest, realizing I had been duped and no longer had to live in guilt and fear. It was a great feeling!

i sort of understand why some get very angry and resentful about lost years. But I'm not sure how healthy it is to remain in that state. And while photographing youself giving a Kingdom Hall sign "the finger" might have some therapeutic value, it seems kind of juevenile. Some go from believing everything the WT says, to believing everything apostates say. And frankly, its not all believable. On the internet facebook group, someone said that WT marriages were now required to provide proof of virginity. It turned that the person was not telling the truth, but it was disappointing how many believed it and said, "I heard that, too!"

at what point do you move on from the bitterness and anger? When does it become unhealthy and counterproductive?

• Justmenthedogs
    Justmenthedogs

I have found actually to be rather relieved that all my feelings almost my entire life are justified and correct. I have never felt it was right and always questioned it. There are some things I am hurt over but I cannot fix it so I move on, why dwell on it, I do miss my family at times but the fact is I have a great life and really cool dogs that have taken me places and I have competed with them in activities and made incredible friends, real friends through the dog world that I would never have done as a JW. I do not regret anything at all and feel no bitterness or anger.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

For myself, I'm not angry or bitter, but I suspect I'm not the norm.

The closest I can come to the claim of being "hurt" by the WTS was that I wanted to be a rock star, but JW theology (and my loyal JW parents) had convinced me that God wouldn't approve, and also that because I followed WT rules, I wasn't very adept at getting pretty girls interested in me (I thought, anyway) .

I am angry that many others have been seriously harmed, though.

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

I think each and everyone of us deal with being tricked/hurt/deceived in our own way. Perfect example is my husband and I, we both went through the same crap. I have and continue to have moments of pure anger and extreme bitterness usually when I see the negative effects on my children. My husband on the other hand chooses to just let it go and move on.

Yes, it is unhealthy to be angry and bitter, if I could just let it go....I would, but thats easier said the done.

We are all diffrent therefore we all feel things differently. I choose not to judge anyone on how they feel.

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

Your comments makes me think that you have no family members inside that religion.

It it isn't just about lost years. Its about being shunned, it's about being hated for no other reason than you have a different belief than they do. Shunning hurts. The WT breaks up families. They take away a persons inheritance.

What are the most important things in life? If you are a balanced person, probably your first answer would be "family and friends". Now comes along a cult who threatens to take that away from you. Your children. Your parents. Your grandparents. Siblings. Your spouse. The most important people in your life.

It's also about screwing up your life and your children's lives, if you brought them up in that awful life-sucking religion. It's about a lot of things. Things which involve life's most precious assets' as Ray Franz so eloquently put it. Choice of spouse, whether or not to have children, the way you spend your time, what career choice or path you take, who you associate with, who you yourself shun because of your mind-controlled sorry state.... or if you saw or observed somebody in the congregation or your family die because they wouldn't accept blood.... Do you see? Are you beginning to understand?

The WTS is not a benign religion or a group of outwardly smiling happy people, there are fangs and teeth and brass knuckles under all that synthetic polyester....

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Justmenthedogs - "I have found actually to be rather relieved that all my feelings almost my entire life are justified and correct."

Oh, God, yes.

The feeling you get when you realize that you're not bonkers (and/or that the direction your own thought processes are taking you isn't hopelessly wrong) cannot be compared...

• clarity
    clarity

Hi ...don't know your experiences or age but..

yes yes yes ...I do often feel angry about being

duped ..... especially as I see wt continuing to

dupe!!!

As I see my grand children go down this path,

no matter what 'facts' I casually mention!

50 years of slaving for a useless cult & preaching

their lies, for them! Oh ya it gets to me!

clarity

• wasblind
    wasblind

It has been said

" Wasted time cannot be recycled "

But I think anger can be turned into positve energy

by lettin' people know that the Watchtower Society is a

Waste of time

• Hummingbird001
    Hummingbird001

Please understand that I am not judging others. I'm wondering how easy it is to get stuck in bitterness and anger. And how do you get out of it once you are stuck in the cycle.

My friend, I fear is stuck in the cycle. I'm finding it hard to relate and help her out of it because I really never experienced that bitterness/anger/hatred. I'm seeing her resentment towards the WT lead her down other paths that are not healthy.

Muddy Waters, I do have family still in the religion. And I have regrets that being part of the religion for so long affected my choices in life. As you said - choice of education, marriage mate, how I raised my children - all of that I regret.

I just feel so good being free of it and finding real enjoyment in life, making new (real) friends....

I feel sorry for ones like my friend who find it difficult to move on.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I am a warm a cuddly apostate - really.

My life is my life, I cannot do anything about the past. What I am today is the sum total of every event that occurred in my life to date.

Given that I am higly pragmatic my response "it is what it is." The watchtower is part of my past, and I cannot do anything about that.

But my past does not constrain my future, which I see as pretty great.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit