I can't believe how sexist the Borg is!!!

by quellycatface 43 Replies latest jw experiences

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Apog, LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I can remember many moons ago in the 60s in our congregation the young sisters handled the mike. Although I don't think they used the word "handle." I was just a little boy, so don't blame me.

• Island Man
  • Stand for Pure Worship
    Stand for Pure Worship

Gimme a break, like any sisters really want to do the sound, handle literature, run microphones, do the stage, etc.? Get real. Last week's Congregation Bible Study included comments on our so called privilege of cleaning the hall. Most sisters don't even want to do that, but you think they can be encouraged to handle literature? Yeah right. That same lesson from last week talked about the library and how its the responsibility of the School Overseer to maintain it. You know what? I dont think our School Overseer even knew that until last week's study. You know what else? I've never seen a sister actually use the library.

I hear where your coming from, don't get me wrong, but using examples like that to make a case that sexism exists amongst JWs to me is just gross naivete. Sisters have it good in the hall. You're not expected to prepare parts, do talks, take the group out, sit in endless elder meetings, get phone calls in the middle of the night, deal with COs, etc.. Let me ask you, do you know how bad it looks when a young brother doesn't reach out? Sisters don't even have to worry about that. All they have to do is show up. I imagine it's likely easier to fade as a sister than it is for a brother. Again, I see where you're coming from, but count your blessings.

• clarity
    clarity

NotNew..."Many males "penis" don't get the positions either!"

Oh gee...whata downer! awwww

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I hear where your coming from, don't get me wrong, but using examples like that to make a case that sexism exists amongst JWs to me is just gross naivete. Sisters have it good in the hall.

Wow, you would get skewered for this on some parts of the Internet, SFPW, I'm glad for your sake that you said it in a fairly out-of-the-way place. This is a classic example of mansplaining. In the '60s and '70s, the argument was often made, "You women have it so good, you don't have to work, you just have to stay home and cook and clean. You get doors held open for you and chairs pulled up for you. Why make a big deal out of this equal representation business?"

The fact that many people don't want to do these tasks is irrelevant to the point that sisters are not allowed to do them for sexist reasons. Holding back the assigning of these "privileges" implies that women are unfit for those jobs. The values of the Society are firmly stuck in 1950, that's all there is to it.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Here is an interesting dilemma that created quite a problem in a bookstudy where I attended.

Other that the conductor I was the only baptized male. However, given my questionable background I could not be assigned as reader. If I did not attend, the bookstudy conductor assigned the reading to a sister.

However, I sometimes came in late - so if you were the conductor what would you do?

Even in my questionable state my status was ranked higher than a sister. But in my questionable state I could not read. In some cases the sister had already read the first paragraph or so. What did the conductor do?

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I imagine it's likely easier to fade as a sister than it is for a brother.

I doubt it, I think they have a much more complex transition from the the organizaton to freedom. I hope that statement is not viewed as sexist.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Well, some here have said that as single sisters it was in fact easy for them to fade, and they felt it was because they were overlooked in the congregation to begin with. But since you and SFPW were speaking of "sisters", not "single sisters", I think that's a more general problem with more than one answer.

Even in my questionable state my status was ranked higher than a sister. But in my questionable state I could not read. In some cases the sister had already read the first paragraph or so. What did the conductor do?

Um... call off the book study and send everyone home? Okay, you've piqued my interest, so what did he do?

• Island Man
    Island Man

"Even in my questionable state my status was ranked higher than a sister. But in my questionable state I could not read. In some cases the sister had already read the first paragraph or so. What did the conductor do?"

He stopped the sister from doing any further reading and did the reading himself?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit