NASA's lost day

by goddidit 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• goddidit
    goddidit

" At no time did the society ever give credence to this story that I am aware of. "

If the pasted article is their only mention of it, I wonder why several ex JWs say they used to believe the story?

It was presented as true to me from a JW in person 20 years ago, and I've heard multiple reports on the internet.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

My memory is mabe faulty, but I seem to remeber that the WT DID give credence to this story at first ???????? then retracted ??

• prologos
    prologos

All that Joshua did was invent the ultimate daylight saving time, and shifted the blame/credit onto his deity.

and they ALL disappeard, sorry, no more miracles.

• Comatose
    Comatose

As a dub I just assumed that god could have made it appear that the sun stood still and made light in the sky. Like when moses looked at him and he was so bright Moses glowed after that. Or Paul blinded by Jesus brilliance on the road. Only a moron would think the earths spinning and orbit stopped. lol

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Yes, Comatose, that was how it was explained to me as a child; the sun appeared to stand still. God didn't bring the solar system to a screeching halt

As far as the "missing day" urban legend, I don't think I heard that until I was an adult. But it's not surprising if, despite a debunking by the Society (and how many people actually read all the articles, anyway?), the legend would persist in some quarters. Witnesses are by nature very vulnerable to urban legends. I've found a number of things being debunked on Snopes which were passed around the congregation as fact.

That was one of the things that made me start to question the "truth", in fact. If JWs would believe anything another JW told them, it suddenly made it much less faith-inspiring to think that "It must be the truth if all these older folks believe it." As a child I admired the adults as being much smarter than myself, but as I grew up, I slowly started to see that they were fairly ignorant and superstitious.

• Apognophos

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit