The Haka

by zeb 13 Replies latest social physical

• zeb
    zeb

Has anyone been priviliged to see the Maori Haka performed live?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I went to a wedding last month between an Australian woman and Half Maouri man. Half way through the speaches, two men jumped up and did the haka. It was the scariest thing when they jumped up screaming and stomping, until I realised what was happening.

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

The cut-throat haka is none too friendly!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnQEvhHDsuM

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

I have seen traditional South Sea Islander dancing live and wow pretty erotic. It was some sort of maidens dance with the young guys. They made their intentions clear!

One of the most powerful videos I've seen on youtube is the funeral of a NZ soldier (possibly Iraq). His mates do the Haka at his funeral. It's a fitting farewell to a warrior....

• doofdaddy
  • cofty
  • KateWild
    KateWild

wow! That was kinda scary at first, but passionate as I watched through it, they are expresiing they're feelings well I think. You see something new all the time. Kate xx

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

They did it in the Millenium Stadium, about 30 miles from me, and I could hear them Impressive!

• steve2
    steve2

As a kiwi, but non-Maori, I can add that it is an incredibly moving experience to be present at a gathering when the Haka is performed. It signifies you are a guest (and likely an honored one depending on your reaction). The Maori were robust defenders of New Zealand (Aotearoa) when the British began colonizing the land. Whilst many tribes and chiefs were signatories to the resulting document, The Treaty of Waitangi, there were important exceptions. To be fair, protocol is almost always first explained to guests so they are not completely taken bu surprise. I'm a scaredy-cat at the best of times - and constitue "proof" that exposure to the Haka is highly survivable and that there is nothing sinister or dangerous about the Haka. Like many kiwis, if I am overseas and hear the Haka being performed, it moves me to tears. The Haka stamps us as New Zealanders as few other ceremonials do. Thank you to those who expressed respectful words about this truly unique kiwi expression.

• WinstonSmith
    WinstonSmith

As a Kiwi living away from my home country, when I hear or see a haka now, I have to pretend that I have dust in my eye....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit