Are You Embarrassed Because You Were A Jehovah's Witness?

by minimus 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Wozwozza
    Wozwozza

Not much but it's funny how some seem suspitious of me when they find out and don't know me well ,and some people are open to a healthy discussion on religion

Since I had no choice in the matter, there is nothing for me to be embarrassed about. Sad yes, embarrassed, no.

• Thoughtless
    Thoughtless

Yes, still am. I don't tell anyone but the closest of friends, and I only talk against my religion with the people I am tightest with. I don't need people talking to each other about my religion and it getting back to me in the Hall. I keep the circle of friends as tight as possible so that no one can get around and talk and stuff. I hope that the embarrassment can fade when I get older and when I have the strength to leave, but until then, it is whatever.

• dorayakii
    dorayakii

I'm not embarrassed at all. It wasn't my fault as I was a born-in, and as soon as I became self-aware I began to have doubts.

I was baptised in December 2001 at the age of 18 due to the pressure from parents and congregation members, but I began to have serious doubts the following year.

I began to do internet research in 2004 and found this site then known as JWD, and it took me about a year to finally completely break free mentally.

Instead of being ashamed or embarrassed about having been a bORg drone, I'm proud of having broken free and immensely proud of what I do to support those in my local area who realise TTATT.

Ste Rikhardsson

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

i always was embarrased when i was a child. i am not embarrased now because it wasn't my fault. i would be embarrased if i would have joined the religion as an adult, i never - even when still a JW - could understand people who would convert.

like simon said, it often makes for a good conversation. JWs around here can't pioneer enough to make up for my anti-witnessing

• bigmac
    bigmac

i was certainly embarrassed when i was a dub--at school--not going into assemblies--laughing stock.

but--nowadays--its certainly a conversation piece---and its surprising how many other xdubs ive met along the way.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Extremely embarrassed. Even when I was a full on believer, many folks I worked with or knew outside the JWs were not aware that I was one. Even when I was an elder. I recall trying to fit in as a kid and learned that to make and keep friends, I needed to keep my JWism under wraps.

Now, since I have one foot out and one foot in, I really go to lengths to avoid telling anyone. Interestingly enough, I came out to someone I work with who I've known for many years. We are good friends and he knows I'm a JW. I've apologized to him for any stupid JW remarks I've made over our friendship. It was a relief to tell him all the crazy things that go down in that cult. He was shocked but now I have someone I can make jokes with.

I really thought he would think less of me because I was in a cult, but I think since I was a born-in, he really doesn't. He does not understand why I think my wife would leave me if I left and although I explained the ramifications of leaving, I don't think he realizes the extreme shunning that goes on.

I believe because most non-JWs don't have a clue what it means to be a JW (other than distributing mags, not celebrating holidays/birthdays and not taking blood), most think it's just another religion.

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

I was very embarrassed to admit it as a child. JWs have such a poor reputation where I grew up, and to admit you were one was to draw even more questions, particularly about your belief structure and inevitably, about your own mental state of being. I was embarrassed because I knew that I would be looked upon as different and to be excluded from many things because of of my religion (both real and imagined). Being a JW was too much of a burden to place upon a child. I believe that JW children should be brought up in the community as a whole, invited to parties and play games of basketball and football with church teams, but as for the hardcore things like field service and meetings, they were only to join naturally and of their own volition. It was one of the first things I heard that really made me despise Judge Rutherford. Russell had more of a traditional view of kids and their level of involvement with the church while Rutherford felt that children must be dragged along to all these theocratic activities.

As for now, it really is nothing more than a novelty. Once I qualify the fact that I am no longer a JW, there is a noticable ease of feelings and people are genuinely curious about it more than anything.

• minimus
    minimus

I agree, why be embarrassed if you were born in it. It does take time to have everything finally click in your head and then it takes time to fully get out.

• marek
    marek

Hi. Being embarrassed it's mean I was doing something wrong. And the question is why I was doing this? Is it just because the WT and elders said so?Or also just because I wanted to please Jehowah God? I am not embarrassed about believing in Jehowah/Jahve etc....... But I am embarrassed of intolerant individuals who say all ordinary Jw are evil, bad , I am embarrassed of individual JW's who use abusive language thinking bad towards others with different belives. The world is not just in black and white colors, isnt it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit