Are You Embarrassed Because You Were A Jehovah's Witness?

by minimus 34 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I don't go around bragging about it. I will tell people if it's appropriate to the situation or conversation. I wasn't raised in it.

When I run into JWs, I don't tell them I was a JW. If it comes up, I will tell them truthfully that my sister and brother are JWs, so I know about the KH, conventions, etc.

I recently made a comment on a facebook page for the town where I raised my children. I noticed a brother I knew in the congregation. Without thinking, I said to him that I didn't realize he was 9 years older than I. Then I thought, man, I better remove the Christmas profile picture and cover picture from my fb before he sees them. A couple of hours later, I got the kindest, sweetest e-mail from him. We exchanged some messages where he told me about his health and his family. He had been a ministerial servant back in the 1980s. I could tell he was still active, probably an elder by now. I realized I must not have been disfellowshipped or announced, or he would not have responded and been so genuinely kind and glad to see me. That is the first time I have spoken to any JWs from that congregation, my last congregation, since 1999. Even then, I had been inactive since 1991.

• cult classic
    cult classic

I was embarrassed as a child a lot. Then I was embarrassed upon discovering I'd been in a cult my whole life. Now, I'm not embarrassed. It was the nature of the beast.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Yes, a bit. It's not something I bring up except to close friends. I am proud that I did eventually get out though. Like they say, I did the best I could at the time, when I knew better, I did better.

• Fernando
    Fernando

The embarrassing and awkward moments as well as Cognitive Dissonance came to an end soon after leaving the apostate Watchtower organisation. I am proudly exJW - a survivor of a corrupt doomsday cult.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

As an adult I am not ashamed as I realize I couldn't choose to be born into a cult. Steve Hassan made me understand the mind control we were bombarded with at every meeting and publication. However, as a child I was MORTIFIED more than once. I would often wish to God this wierd religion I belonged to was not the "truth".

• LucidChimp
    LucidChimp

No. I am personally ashamed of the self-deceit I engaged in and the mental gymnastics it took to maintain my beliefs... But I'm not embarrassed to say I did it.

Just glad I stopped.

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

When things like child abuse, blood transfusions and shunning come to mind, then yes I do. It's a tricky question.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

A bit. i feel like an idiot for staying so long and ashamed of what a self righteous twat I was. I just tell people I was in a cult.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

A bit. i feel like an idiot for staying so long and ashamed of what a self righteous twat I was. I just tell people I was in a cult.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Very embarassed. My siblings tried to warn me

I didn't listen . The deeper I got involved the more crazy they were

I apologized to my siblings for not listenin'

They claimed they prayed me outta that cult

and thier prayers were answered

I told them many stupid things 'bout this cult

but still can't bring myself to tell them that I fell for a cult that used to sell Miracle Wheat

If they do find that out. It won't be from me. I'll take that to my grave

Lookin' back. Nothin' is more shameful than the WTS blood policy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit