The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Welcome back. Did you graduate seminary?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I got my masters in Theological studies, yes.

No seminary though, no way that was for me.

• Simon
    Simon

is this the longest Thread on JWN ?

I think it is, but the content is still the most important thing.

Great topic - thanks Cofty!

• cofty
    cofty

Psac - good to see you back.

Summary of the various attempts to excuse god...

It needs me to update it when I get time.

Thank you Simon.

• cofty
    cofty

This thread was cathartic for me to participate in. I'm sure I get as frustrated as some theists with many of the attacks on theism that are overly simplistic. A lot of deep thinkers have wrestled with the issue of theodicy over many centuries. The challenge for theism is far more intractable than a trite - "people suffer - therefore no loving god". Just as atheists are sometimes guilty of ill-informed attacks on belief, many believers are guilty of reducing the problem to a strawman.

I would encourage anybody to expose themsleves to the very best answers that the very best theologians and apologists have to offer. When you're through you will be back where you started but you will understand why.

It can't be proven there is no god as long people are prepared to dilute what they mean by "god" until it loses all meaning. However I am convinced that the problem of natural evil demonstrates beyond all reasonable doubt that the god of theism is an impossibility.

Faith in the face of suffering amounts to whistling in the dark. It is a distraction from the vital task of living in the moment.

The answer to life, the universe and everything is blindingly simple - "shit happens".

The vicissitudes of life have no purpose, and there will be no utopia in the morning. Once we accept that, life becomes more vital, and improving the lot of ourselves and others more urgent.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Well this has been a long thread and i hope room for one more annoying idiotic thought.

Maybe the Pastor of your Old Church is now a Satan- worshiper ?

Who would think that?

But its confession time. Its a confession in the way of a question. Is anyone here like me who came to this site a squeaky clean J.W and left a pot smoking apostate?

So maybe Coftys pastor that tried to convert him with..." i love everything, the heavens the eternal being, and God loves you" ...maybe he is now seperated from God, and has mistaken magic mushrooms for cows turds and is wearing a Nirvanna T- shirt" ?

Thats why i call my self " New Hope and Happiness"

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Thanks Cofty,

Good to see you doing well my friend.

I can't begin to put a number on the hours I have spent wrestling with these very questions.

Indeed, any theist SHOULD put in those hours, shoudl question, should try to find out the answers.

That said, I have yet to hear from an athiest as to WHAT answer they WOULD find satisfying, which I understand because that is a very hard question to answer IF it canbe answered.

For myself I know that there are certain explanations that hold weight for me BUT I openly admit that part of that is because I choose to have faith in God and that faith allows me to accept them a valid one ( not necessarily that they are right per say).

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Psarcamento...you sound like " Hilton" ... " but there ought to be" so desperately " And, oh God if only there were....."

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Psarcamento...you sound like " Hilton" ... " but there ought to be" so desperately " And, oh God if only there were....."

I have no clue what you are referring to here...sorry.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

The evidence never convicts.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit