The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• jgnat
    jgnat

Your analogies are weak. If you are painting different components of the mysterious larger picture, offer:

Analogy1 ---> represents this component of the larger picture.

Analogy2 ---> represents that component of the larger picture...and so on.

Otherwise, your offered analogies sniff like obfuscation to me.

I imagine one analogy offered is God BIG AND ALL-KNOWING, us, not. So God has the larger picture (It's a mystery on Cofty's list), and we cannot because of our necessary limits in context, time, and space.

• cofty
  • Simon
    Simon

You seem to be saying that drowning a quarter of a million people and devastating the lives of 5 million others is a loving thing to do if we look at it as part of a bigger picture.

It's like part of a football game don't you know!

What is your problem with analogies Cofty?

Analogies in general can be useful but yours were very weak and intentionally avoided the main issues being discussed which made them useless IMO.

Cofty, would you say that a fair summary of your argument is "if god exists god dun it"?

As opposed to you argument of "all powerful god, anything good = he did it, anything bad = oooooh, it's all a mystery !!"

Your god was not as advertised - you should ask for a refund.

• Simon
    Simon

All we have now is noise and smoke - anything to distract attention from the real issues.

Now he wants to debate the point of analogies instead of what was being discussed.

Look out for more hand-wavy-type comments ...

• cofty
    cofty

Also the application and limits of an analogy should be explained.

You can't respond to a question about how a tsunami can be loving, with an analogy about a loving father who refrains for buying a sports car for his young daughter with no further explanation, and then complain that everybody is too stupid to understand your analogy.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Your god was not as advertised - you should ask for a refund.....Simon

................................................................................No Refunds!..

.................................................................................................. photo mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• cofty
    cofty

Flamegrilled - You seem to be saying that drowning a quarter of a million people and devastating the lives of 5 million others is a loving thing to do if we look at it as part of a bigger picture. Without launching into a sermon, what is the big picture?

• jgnat
    jgnat

I've got an analogy for you. Let's say we are all in kindergarten and you have a New Best Friend. Your NBF is bigger than everyone else in class, shares his toys, and generally inspires you to be your best. There's a kid in your class who thinks your NBF is not so special. He points out some times your NBF failed to help and generally was an unfair dude.

Your first reaction, of course, is to defend your NBF, but it is getting increasingly hard to do. Not only that, this new kid keeps pointing out your NBF's friend's possible failures in the most unflattering light. Blunt. Painful. Maybe true.

• flamegrilled
    flamegrilled

Also the application and limits of an analogy should be explained.

LOL. You can lead a horse to water ...

• flamegrilled
    flamegrilled

jgnat - your analogy didn't explain the universe, so I must reject it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit