Asked my christian co-workers.....

by DS211 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

For many Bible-believing Christians, the Bible is sufficient. If it doesn't mention dinosaurs, then they are not an essential of the faith and we don't need to know about them

Which is as concise an answer to, "what's wrong with faith-based thinking?" as it would be possible to imagine.

It kills curiosity and investigation. It crushes a unviverse full of wonders into the confines of a Bronze Age book written by ignorant pre-scientific nomads.

My hypothesis on why there is so much atheism among ex-JWs is that for many of us it took considerable courage and critical-thinking skills to see the error in our beliefs. Many, but not all, have the fortitude to apply the same skills to belief in god and inspired boks.

E.T.A. - and what Phizzy said ^^^^^

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

What Neon Mad Man Said.

>>> When the JW comes to realize that the Watchtower's speculations are simply rubbish, they discard the whole idea of God and the Bible along with the Watchtower. I'm convinced that this is a major reason why there is so much atheism among ex-JWs<<<

YES! and they become raving hard core athiests that have to convince everyone else because of their pain.

• cofty
    cofty

Really NS?

Have you not noticed that mostly the atheists present objective evidence and reason that you can confirm for yourself?

On the other hand, faith-based thinking leads to threats of eternal loss, condemnation of people as being broken or sinful, appeals to emotionalism or personal feelings and experiences. As well as dogma based on the supposed authority of an ancient book and a hypocritical contempt of science.

• jws
    jws

Technically, from what I recall... And I don't believe in the bible stories. But, to be honest and play devil's advocate...

As far as I recall, God told Noah and his family that they could eat meat after the flood. As far as I recall, there was no mention of what the animals ate. And never any commandments to animals as far as their diet.

One could make the argument that animals could always eat other animals, but only man was to eat like a vegan until after the flood.

Or am I remembering it wrong?

• cofty
    cofty

You are right JWS, that would be the correct answer for a JW.

Fundie young earth creationist christians incredibly believe there was no death of any sort before "the fall".

Most have little idea what they are supposed to believe or why?

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

cofty, i don't care what you believe. You are not me and you have not seen what i have seen. You have not walked in my shoes.

Happy New Year!

• cofty
    cofty

NS - Let me rewind a bit.

Your first post on the thread ignored the topic and attacked atheists as being "raving, hard-core and in pain".

I reponded that atheists generally use reason and evidence while faith-based thinking tends to lead to appeals to emotions and feelings.

You replied with an emotional rant.

OK

• Narcissistic Supply
  • alecholmesthedetective
    alecholmesthedetective

My hypothesis on why there is so much atheism among ex-JWs is that for many of us it took considerable courage and critical-thinking skills to see the error in our beliefs. Many, but not all, have the fortitude to apply the same skills to belief in god and inspired boks.

Same.

Critical thinking was applied to the beliefs of others but not our own.

• humbled
    humbled

"Tho' nature red in tooth and claw...." Even faithful Tennyson was troubled by the ruthlessness of creatures.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit