If there's anything that convinces a Christian the Bible isn't infallible...

by ilikecheese 29 Replies latest jw friends

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

A person will believe that which they feel best with. It's called 'confirmation bias'.

We all do it....I know I do. Apart from no longer believing in god.....and I don't 'believe' there is no god either....there just isn't.

To me there are too many inconsitant scriptures.......yeah, I know the pastor will explain these away but then that's 'confirmation bias' or just plain spin.

Here is a mix of scriptures...........make of this what you will:

GE 22:1-12, DT 8:2 God tempts (tests) Abraham and Moses.
    JG 2:22 God himself says that he does test (tempt).

1CO 10:13 Paul says that God controls the extent of our temptations.
    JA 1:13 God tests (tempts) no one.

"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it, a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." - Richard Dawkins

''The god of the NT is a twat.'' - Unky Punky

Sorry, no offence meant..................just can't resist being ironic.

• Londo111
    Londo111

The idea of infallibility is the burden of cults and fundamentalists. It is not inherent to Christianity.

• unstopableravens
  • unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

You, can't sperate jehovah from his word.

• cofty
    cofty

You worship a musty old book Unstop.

• tec
    tec

A, the bible is not one book with one author. So one book can be inspired, one book might not be inspired.

B, the bible does not claim to be infallable... just the opposite, it speak of the 'lying pen of the scribes... that has mishandled the law; as well as Christ also says, 'woe to you SCRIBES'

C, not everything attributed to God, was actually from God

D, interpretation and translation from language to language, after thousands of years, is an ongoing issue (and another... 'woe to you scribes')

E, Christ is the Word of God, and the Truth; and the one we are to listen TO. If anything is in conflict with Him, then listen to Him. THAT is what God has commanded that we do.

God (or Christ now) does not need a book to communicate. God and Christ are spirit, and communicate via the spirit within us also. Unless man does not have the faith to hear (ears to hear/eyes to see), and himself relies upon what he sees (the written word). And that is fine. But the prophets and the brothers of Christ did not have communication with God or Christ via the bible, but rather via the spirit, and direct communication.

Do not allow the bible to become more important than Christ. Christ is the image of God, as well as the Way, the Word, the Truth, the Life. Nothing and no one else.

Peace to you,

tammy

• cofty
    cofty

God and Christ are spirit, and communicate via the spirit within us also. Unless man does not have the faith to hear (ears to hear/eyes to see).. - Tammy.

• tec
    tec

You can call it woo if you want Cofty, but if the living and speaking Christ is not also what you believed (and heard) and witnessed to as the former christian you claim to be, then at least you can never again use the excuse that you once had the same kind of faith that I have.

Besides all that... asking for ears to hear and eyes to see... are from Christ. His own words. The prophets heard. Those who belonged to Christ heard. (and there are plenty of examples of it that are written) So what does it matter to me that you mock me for having faith in Christ and what He taught and said, and that others taught and heard as well? Reveals more about you... and who it is you truly fight.

Peace,

tammy

• cofty
    cofty

You claim to pass on messages from a dead man who you assert was raised in the spirit.

Mediums claim to pass on messages from the spirits of dead people.

You are a self-proclaimed spirit medium.

• tec
    tec

That is getting to be a pretty old accusation Cofty and I have already shown you how it is baseless; even dictionary definitions do not agree with you. So either you don't care what the truth is as long as you get to sport your continued accusation, or you truly cannot see what the truth is in this matter. I even asked you if you once thought then that the apostles who heard the spirit must also be spirit mediums, or the prophets must also be spirit mediums, etc... and you refuse to answer the question. I imagine the answer would simply reveal what I stated above about your former faith, or reveal that even you know that you are making a ridiculous accusation.

I do not intend to continue THIS conversation that has been done so many times before. People have read it before, we have had it before... and those who may not have seen it can look up the definition of a spirit medium themselves.

Christ is not dead, but living. Not in a symbolic way; not 'sort of' living. Not as a modern 'ghost'. Spirit is his 'species' for lack of a better word. Just as God is spirit... and HE is not dead; just as angels are spirits, and THEY are not dead.

Peace to you,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit