If there's anything that convinces a Christian the Bible isn't infallible...

by ilikecheese 29 Replies latest jw friends

• ilikecheese
    ilikecheese

It's got to be reading the Old Testament. That is some messed up sh!t.

Your choices are basically to think it's based on things that happened but men's version of events, there is tons of allegory, that it's just a bunch of made up nonsense, or to rip those parts of your Bible out and pretend they don't exist.

I am a Christian, but it's pretty hard to reconcile the two parts if you don't drop the "it's infallible" idea. The whole bit should drop a healthy sense of skepticism into your noodle. I know it does for me sometimes.

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

Let it in my friend, let it in. That's your mind trying to work on its own!

If it's only the OT that bothers you, I suggest Bart D. Ehrman's 'Jesus, interrupted'

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

The entire Bible is just a lot of made-up nonsense in my opinion. It's a book that has been used for eons to justify bigotry and intolerance. Science has improved FAR more human lives than the Bible ever has. Science marches on, while preachers blather on and on about the same old tired stories.

• KateWild
    KateWild

I believe in God, but I think the bible was written by men to control women and the vulnerable, I don't think it's infalliable at all. My favourite scrpture to keep me critically thinking is 1Cor 14.34,35 talks about women keeping silent, it makes me puke. It is in all translations known to me. It's sick.

Kate xx

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

I mean, what seems more reasonable and sensible, that God committed or sanctioned genocide, ethnic cleansing, killing women and children, famines, drowning humanity, killing first-born Egyptian infants, etc, OR that some old Jewish priests and scribes made that stuff up to keep the people scared and obedient.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

The NT isn't much better..... "faithful and discreet slave" should read "I have a dream..."

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

Yadda, that is one of the best posts I have ever read on this site. Brilliant.

Either that or the vodka I have been drinking this arvo is catching up with me.

• designs
    designs

I get a chuckle when a Cristian says they like Jesus but don't like the OT god....they're the same lol

Show them Matt.25 or Rev.7-12 on Jesus leading the judgement and throwing humans into hell..........nice guy my ass

• prologos
    prologos

kate, even the wtBIBLEts does not believe I Cor, 14: 30ish is an inerrant part of the bible. proof?

they hand the ladies Mickes, why? silence does not need any amplification.so,

we are glad we can speak the mind here.

• 88JM
    88JM

OT God says murder, adultery and genocide are forgiveable (even advocated sometimes), but go out to pick up sticks on the wrong day and you're toast

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit