Young baptism a double standard with marriage?

by thedepressedsoul 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• thedepressedsoul
    thedepressedsoul

I remember tons of young ones getting counseled for being too young to date and for marriage. The elders said, "Marriage is the 2nd biggest dedication of your life (baptism being 1st), at 20 you still don't know who you are or what you want. You can't possibly make a decision like that, that young!" Not to mention, your feelings, likes and dislikes change.

One of the many Young People Ask quotes, "Marriage is a huge step. It’s important to know not only what you’re getting into but who you’re getting into it with" & there are many many more like that in publications.

Yet for the first "biggest" dedication of your life you can be 11? Double standards everywhere!

• thedepressedsoul
    thedepressedsoul

They know young ones are leaving the "Truth" like crazy once they turn 18. Their solution? Baptize them as young as possible so it's even harder for them to leave when they're 18!

If they encouraged people to wait until 18 or older, no one would get baptized! They'd all be out or sit on the fence and enjoy life without consequences. They have no control over you when you don't get baptized. It's sick they want these kids to get baptized so young to control their lives and make it harder to leave!

Exact reason they are practically banning "higher education"!

Wait until that poor kid is DF, has their name announced and is shunned by everyone at the age of 12-14!

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

I agree with this being a giant double standard. When I was a 9ish my mom told me that Armageddon was soon (89-90) and soon I'd be old enough that I would be accountable and not her. So god might not spare me despite her Being baptized and obedient any longer.

• C Lynne
    C Lynne
    I got baptized at 15 and married a 18. My brain was still developing until i was like 24.....and I'm turning 27 on Monday. DO NOT MAKE MAJOR DECISIONS SO YOUNG!!!! I can't tell teenagers/ young adults that too much. Anywho...yes them encouraging that is WRONG and psycho and scary and crazy and did I say wrong?
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade
    C Lynne we are similar. I was baptized at 15 married by 19. Would have never done that if I hadn't been born in With such a large witness family to disappoint.
  • _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Lol lynn.... Your brain is still likely maturing at 27 :P

That said, OF COURSE ITS A DOUBLE STANDARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For f*^%#^*k sake YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why is this even a question????????????

/endscreaming

• yodastar
    yodastar

It's is amazing when you actually think about it with a logical brain!! I got babtized at 15 because my mates were - then hit 18 and the s**t started.

During my later issues I complained to an young elder who reluctantly accepted the appointment because the elder body was desperate for fresh blood so he was still approachable! He did concede that it was a bizarre thing for young people to do - to make such a commitment and vow at such an age when you didn't know anything about life!! He went on to say that the example of Jesus getting baptized at 30 should be adopted because he was of an age to know.

It's just so they can control the sheeple but it's disgraceful but it did make it easier to marry a 19 year old sister -lol which of course did not last. Tossers

• Half banana
    Half banana
    The Watchtower Organisation encouraging young or even young teen JW children to get baptised should be recognised for what it is: "abuse".
  • C Lynne
    C Lynne
    Morpheus!!!not true!! our pre frontal cortex is finally fully developed at 24....the pre frontal cortex is what helps us recognize consequences of our mistakes and helps us to think through our decisions before we make them.
  • Splash
    Splash

The Society say that marrying as a teenager is too young, but have no qualms about encouraging baptism at an even earlier age.

*** w71 9/1 p. 526 par. 8 Fortify Yourself So as to Maintain Integrity ***
    Then there are the young teen-agers who think they must “date” and “go steady,” as many children of today do... They are too young to get married, but they want to satisfy the desires that are building up inside them.

*** w75 8/1 p. 461 Youths, Make Your Life Worth Living ***
    As a teen-ager, however, you may feel that opportunities to make decisions and to do what you want seem limited... Your parents may try to cultivate in you other interests besides engaging in various forms of recreation. Or, you may be eager to get married, but they may tell you that you are too young and immature for this.

*** w85 7/15 p. 19 par. 15 ‘Run in Such a Way That You May Attain the Prize’ ***

Failing to recognize that “foolishness is tied up with the heart of” youngsters, some parents have allowed their children to associate closely with worldlings, attend unsavory social affairs, and even date when far too young for marriage.

*** w93 4/1 p. 21 Growing Up With Jehovah’s Organization in South Africa ***
    We were romantically attracted to each other, but we were still teenagers, too young to get married.

*** w99 2/15 p. 5 What Is Needed for a Successful Marriage? ***

“It is very risky to get married too young,” says Nikki, who was 22 when she married. She cautions: “Your feelings, goals, and tastes will continue to change from the time you are in your late teens until you are in your mid-to-late 20’s.”

*** w01 5/15 p. 20 par. 15 Divine Guidance for Selecting a Marriage Mate ***
    Eighteen-year-old Blossom thought that she was in love with a young man in her congregation... But her parents asked her to wait one year, feeling that she was still too young. Blossom later wrote: “I am so thankful that I listened to that wise advice. Within the year, I matured some

*** w09 7/1 p. 18 She Acted With Discretion ***
    Wise parents carefully teach their children a dignified view of marriage. They neither urge their children to marry for money nor pressure them to begin dating when still too young to take on adult roles and responsibilities.

Sound marital advice that does not extend to what the WT say is MORE important than baptism:

*** w92 10/1 p. 22 ‘Should I Get Baptized?’ ***
    Ayumi got baptized when she was ten years old. She wanted to serve Jehovah because she really came to love him. Now she is 13 and just had the experience of seeing her Bible student, who has also come to love Jehovah, get baptized at the age of 12. Ayumi’s younger brother Hikaru was also baptized at the age of ten. “Some said I was too young,” he recalls, “but Jehovah knew how I felt.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit