Just watched a documentary that made me yearn for the JWs again

by marmot 10 Replies latest social entertainment

• marmot
    marmot

Well, almost. I just watched the documentary "Dirty Wars" on Netflix and it left me so emotionally overwhelmed that I watched it a second time back-to-back. It's unreal how cynical this left me feeling about Obama and the US government's global war on terror, it's so bleak that I almost wished for the simple life of being a JW with the naïve promise of big daddy Jehovah coming to sweep away all the wickedness at Armageddon.

Watch this movie!

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

I believe my husband is attracted to the JW (he was brought up KW) for the same reasons. It promises to make worries go away. ( I see it actually makes them worse)

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Watchtower owned a company that made silent diesel engines for drones..... It was called RANDCAM and sponsored by the US Navy from esrly designs. I left the JW's because of it, if you write to bethel they confirm, via letter, via your body of elders. But the US security exchange commision confirms their majority ownership at the time anyway. They got rid of the shares when we all complained.

Still pine for them?

Being 'institutionsl investors' in the worlds hedge funds, Watchtower money will be all over the military industrial complex.

Then there is Rutherfords appeal to Hitler, denouncing American jews and voicing god's approval for,germany and its government,

Ignoring all of this.... how does global destruction of all humans by gods hand negate the brutalities of nature as seen in all animals and man?

Sorry for being so matter of fact, but rose tinted glasses is how they get you. Watchtower doesn't even offer utopia, there were so many layers of indoctrination, it just felt like it did.

Maybe reading on the progress of man will help, look at the child mortality rates, average life expectancy, quality of health, quality of life, throughout history. Drone strikes in Pakistan may be awful to see, but worse than moses marching in to a city and slicing open the bellies of preganant women as commanded by god? Though I don't believe in the bible, such things happened, mans history is full of tribal, teritorrial warfare, just as all animals.

Things are getting better, humans have never been so united in seeking peace, equality and the right to freedoms.

You wont find a better year to be alive than 2013.

• adamah
    adamah

Roger Ebert's review of the film, a reminder that it's a commerical release, and relies on emotional persuasion to sell it's own story:

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/dirty-wars-2013

That's not to say the film doesn't have any credibility to it, however biased it may be; it does, but that's the same team that later tracked down Bin Laden. War and conflict isn't pretty, no matter how you cut it, and few civilians have the stomach for it (as Jack Nicholsen says, "(they) can't handle the truth!").

JWs are ostriches who stick their head in the sand, and pray that it will just go away; they feel they're avoiding the need for getting involved and getting dirty, and refuse to face the difficult moral questions by simply engaging in wishful thinking....

Adam

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

We all want life, liberty, freedom and happiness. And there are about 35,000 (man made) religions out there that have the "Way" to all the things we all want. Just pick one that make you feel good and go for it! Or better yet let your parents pick it for you and devote your entire youth to it. You will feel better in the end right? Just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Watchtower owned a company that made silent diesel engines for drones..... It was called RANDCAM and sponsored by the US Navy from esrly designs. I left the JW's because of it, if you write to bethel they confirm, via letter, via your body of elders. But the US security exchange commision confirms their majority ownership at the time anyway. They got rid of the shares when we all complained.

I was very shocked at the Rand Cam shares story at the time. When it was a topical matter I wrote to The Society to get their reaction. They wrote back to me from Patterson and denied that they had ever held shares in the firm and that it was an erroneous listing by the SEC.

That took to wind out of my sails because, whatever we suspected, no Dub would ever deny the word of the WT Society.

• marmot
    marmot

It's just the bald-faced lies by the administration that get to me. Be it W or Obama, both are so callously dishonest and hypocritical it sickens me. For instance, the fact that Obama personally called the president of Yemen to keep a journalist behind bars because he reported on the cluster bombing of a bedouin camp full of women and children. Isn't the USA constantly on its high horse of moral superiority when it comes to political prisoners?

• rmt1
    rmt1

Guantanamo Bay, Abu Ghraib prison.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced_interrogation_techniques
    An American Gestapo is being gestated presently.

No amount of JW Sunday talks will stop a process that involves hundreds of millions of post-imperial subjects reaping the momentum of the victory of WW2 and Cold War, unmindful of the cyclicity of history or the manner in which corruption erupts from within a steady state of complacency.

If you really need to go back to the JWs to get some kind of a hit, there are probably far more expensive and far more illegal and far more dangerous checmical substances you can use to acheive a moment of ponderous wisdom. Why make do with JW quacking when you can go all out?

• marmot
    marmot

Uhhh, I think you missed the point of my post. I was being facetious, hence why I said "almost". I mean seriously, do I really need to walk you through this?

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

God is not going to one day intervene to save humanity, and even if he did, why would you need to be in a daft little religion like JW's to benefit from it? JW's teach that Jehovah is the ultimate war pig who is going to roll out death and destruction on a planetary scale.

How about this:

We are all made in God's image (Gen 1:26), with certain good qualities. We have a conscience, and we all ultimately want peace and non-suffering for this planet. As long as most human beings live in accord with that image, humanity will be fine in the end. That is mankinds archetypal destiny.

Mankind is slowly maturing, learning its hard moral lessons, growing up. Like a parent that wants independence for their children eventually, God has left us to grow up and learn the hard way. We grabbed that independence prematurely, while still infants, but God let us go. But self-rule is what God actually wants for mankind ultimately. If we are in God's image, of course we can rule ourselves. No father wants to rule over his children forever. Secular authorities stand are in place to act as God's 'ministers' to punish evil. Secular authorities come and go and some will always be worse than others, but in the long run it will improve.

And that's all we have. God will never intervene.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit