Do you Remember 2nd & 4th Saturday Magazine Day?

by cofty 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

I remember it less than fondly as one more way to f*** up my Saturdays as a teenager.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Yep, I remember - pretty much the era I was brought up in. Then they just made it magazines every Saturday.

The calendars were really stupid a few years back, on EVERY SINGLE SATURDAY it would say "offer magazines" I believe. I think its still the same except on the first Saturday it says "start bible studies".

Pretty telling, wouldn't Jesus say make disciples every day, not distrubute some form of literature?

• St George of England
    St George of England

I remember it well. Of course in those days we also charged for magazines and literature.

In the 1960's we did 10-15 minute, 3 - 4 scripture 'sermons' on a Sunday morning. I would like to see modern day 'dumbo' JW's do those.

George

• cofty
    cofty

That phrase rings a bell from my childhood "the 3 scripture sermon". Thanks for that St George.

Remember the little booklet called "Sermon Outlines"? Can you imagine a modern JDub making any sense of it?

• nugget
    nugget

I remember them well. It is funny that all these things are designed to give pressure points when witnesses should be out. But actually they reduce the obligation from weekly to threee times a month.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Remember: It's important to keep pace with Jehovah's Chariot!

Today's method of Field Service, where you just knock on the doors of "not-at-homes" for 45 minutes and then head for Starbucks for a 1 hour break is much more simple than all of that 3-scripture or magazine presentation crap. Then after a couple Return Visits that aren't at home (where you stuff a couple mags in the door) you're headed back to the Hall and then off to lunch for a burger and a few beers.

JWs 21st Century -- New & Improved! You don't have to know a damn thing about the doctrine -- which is a good thing since it will change within the next few years anyway!

Doc

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Blimey ! this thread brought back memories !

You are probably a tad young Cofty, but before the Reasoning Despite What the Scriptures Say book we had one called "Make Sure of All things".

In those days, 50's/60's it was sufficient for the book to simply pull together the various verses that the WT used to prove its doctrine, and the JW at the door would do the rest.

I used to love debating, and sparring on the doors back in the old days. In the end, more often than not I would just flog mags, then it got to the point where I didn't even want to foist them on the Public, so just chatted at doors for an hour, then went for Coffee and home.

Even I got dumbed down.

• PelicanBeach
    PelicanBeach

The 2014 JW Calendar gives reminders to the publishers: Every first Saturday of every month is marked "Offer Bible Studies". Every subsequent Saturday of every month is marked "Offer Magazines" just like mothers who remind their kids to put on their boots in winter so too the GB gives little reminders. lol Then of course there are the doorstep Bible Studies where what once was just considered a conversation at a return visit is now labeled a doorstep Bible Study. I remember the Sermon Outlines, used them for years. There is little conversing at the doors today though, only the robotic handing out of whatever the JWs are told to hand out.

Field service and the meetings have become like a field in severe drought. Dry, brown and brittle but the local farmer keeps plugging along hoping for something to change.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit