Do you Remember 2nd & 4th Saturday Magazine Day?

by cofty 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

I think it may have been in the mid '80s a new arrangement was started for the 2nd and 4th Saturday of every calendar month. They were designated "magazine days" and the idea was to place as many as possible with 30-60 second presentations. Personally I hated feeling like a magazine seller, I wanted to talk to people.

I think this, and the release of the "Reasoning Book" was the beginning of the end of Jehovah's Witnesses as evangelists.

• tiki
    tiki

i remember - i actually preferred it because i hated to get into discussions with strangers. it was quick - take it or leave it and be on your way.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Yes I remember that.

• clarity
    clarity

Oh yeah .......& now I think it is last wknd of mth

is .....start a bible study day!!!

• caliber
    caliber

I think this, and the release of the "Reasoning Book" was the beginning of the end of Jehovah's Witnesses as evangelists

How so Cofty ? just curious I have no opinion so far , as I have not thought about it

You think that it layed out beliefs that were otherwise hidden or unknown to the public or what ?

"magazine days" and the idea was to place as many as possible with 30-60 second presentations.

The reasoning book could lead to longer more controversial discussion ?

Discussion would slow magazine blitz ?

• cofty
    cofty

They constantly stressed that JWs should get the Reasoning Book out whenever the householder asked a question and give the official answer. It removed the need for knowing how to defend your beliefs and think on your feet.

Combined with an emphasis of a brief magazine sales pitch and repeated Kingdom News distribution it was the beginning of dumbing down the work.

• KateWild
    KateWild

In Liverpool there is no conversing on the doors and dumbing down is the key to being a good Scouse Jdub. they just have a tract in their hand and say................

"Ere Are, dya wanna ave a read of dis mate?"

Kate xx

• cofty
    cofty

haha priceless!

Why do scousers make that noise like they have phlegm at the back of their throats? Is it specific to an area of Liverpool or just to fans of Jamie Carragher?

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

They introduced those days as part of combatting the slump that happened post-1975:

- the idea being to get everybody out two Saturdays of the month hawking magazines, and also out on the first Sunday of the month, which was called "Family Day."

These ideas were only the thin end of the wedge, though. By the late 1980s, it was made plain that "Christians" would be out in service every weekend.

Bill.

• cofty
    cofty

Thanks I had forgotten about the first Sunday of the month thing as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit