New Here, Introduction

by budbayview 24 Replies latest jw friends

• budbayview
    budbayview

Hi all,

I have been eyeing this site for some time (years) and finally joined. I was born in the organization, and grew up not too far were C.T. Russell started it all. I remember as a child attending at the congregation in Oakland, many visits by Schroeder, meeting his family and watching his slide presentations of trips to the holy land. This was a grand hall, before they started cloning them. It had two floors, three schools, a baptismal pool, and a great library. I remember during the meetings, I would sneak into the library and look through all of Russell’s old books and Zion’s publications, they had quite a collection.

My Father died when I was young, and that just solidified our convictions (at the time). My mother carried on, and this was during the time period when smoking just became a DF offence. She tried to hide it, and finally was confronted, and DF. I studied and continued on through my time at high school, did the recommended route and not attended college. Although, I must admit, this was not my mother’s wish and at her insistence, I went 2 years at a tech school, and received a (worthless) associate’s degree. I commenced my career, and was a bit naïve and started sowing some oats, so to speak, all the while harboring terrible guilt. I met my wife to be at a bar, obviously not a witness, and was married. I moved away and could not stand the guilt (fear), started studying and brought my wife in. For whatever reason, I won’t bore you the details, we faded away after the years. After a long DF, my mother finally quit smoking and was reinstated, I have two sisters, one in the truth (although a hypocrite sorry to admit), and one not. During the early years, my mother brought in most of her siblings. My first cousins aunts and uncles are still in the truth.

My fading started out with terrible guilt and fear, and moved to resolving some long standing spiritual issues. In that quest, I tried to prove what I learned was the truth, and the more I dug, the more the fabric of my faith in the WTBTS started to disintegrate. It was scary balancing not wanting to oppose Jehovah and trying to reconcile my spirituality. Although I could not whole heartily agree with the WTBTS, and most organized religions in general, I am still very spiritual and have never stopped learning about my Father.

The apocalyptic nightmares finally subsided, and my latest quest is determining the authenticity of the bible cannons. I am having issue with its canonization during the Niceno–Constantinopolitan Creed and Emperor Constantine’s involvement. Seems like a bit of an oxymoron that we hold firm the bible as holy, but is was in the hands of the early Catholic church and Roman political system at inception. Add to that, the issue of reconciling texts of The Sumerians, Mesopotamians, Babylonian’s, Egyptians, and Greeks, that all predate any Old Testament writings, and I think there is a good bit to be sorted out…in another thread.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Welcome, there's some good books by Karen Armstrong that are well worth reading.

• Bob_NC
    Bob_NC

Hi budbayview and welcome. I met Shroeder a few times along about the early 90s. The first time was at one of the 'secret' elder meetings.

I didn't know who he was at first as he opened the elder school and never introduced himself. I was not impressed. He was so c***sure of himself about minor matters not in the Bible. Then later when he was introduced for a later part, I realized that he was GB member Shroeder. Not impressed.

About the Old Testament writings and other writings with similar stories that predate the OT. My take is, if you believe the OT, then you have to believe the others. If you don't believe the earlier stories, then why believe when they are retold in the OT?

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Welcome budbayview, I'm glad that you no longer victimized by the WTBTS's BITE control and are able to be spiritual without needing to be a member of an organized religion. I look forward to reading more of your posts.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• flipper
    flipper

BUDBAYVIEW- Welcome to the forum ! Nice to have you here. I'm glad that you and your wife gained your freedom of mind in escaping out of the JW organization. Good for you. We are here as a support to you. Take care, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Kool Jo
    Kool Jo

Welcome and best wished on your spiritual journey!

Kool Jo

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

Thank you for sharing! Welcome aboard!
    We are a bunch of thinking people like you. Great to have you here!

• clarity
    clarity

Hi Bud ...glad you joined us ...just maybe you will

find out the source of your "guilt".

my latest quest is determining the authenticity of the bible cannons.

Keep on digging!

clarity

• Ding
    Ding

Welcome!

• happy@last
    happy@last

Welcome, good to have you here

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit