Why not use the same advice for the use of medicinal marijuana

by I_love_Jeff 11 Replies latest watchtower medical

• I_love_Jeff
    I_love_Jeff

Watchtower states: "Moderation in all things is a Bible principle". Why not use the same advice for the use of medicinal marijuana?

Drugs- http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1101989223

In the above article on the use of marijuana, the Watchtower ONLY uses negative points made by medical doctors and NOT specific bible verses on the use of the plant itself because, of course, there are no passages that discuss the use of the plant. I do understand that. HOWEVER, the Bible does mention the use of herbs/plants such as in Genesis 1:29-31, for example. What I have concluded is that I only see one side of the Watchtower story. The negative side. I understand that when presented with topics not specifically discussed in the Bible, they as well as many other Christians simply make implications based on bible principles. However, I do not see how this particular argumentation is fair. The Watchtower only presents the negative side of marijuana.

Here is the last part of the article:

"It is important to be convinced of the badness of these practices and to develop genuine hatred for them. (Ps. 97:10) This can be done by reviewing the facts set out in this section of the book and meditating, not on temporary present pleasure that may come from the practices, but on what pleases God and how disgusting the results of the bad practices are."

The logical fallacies here are called appealling to tradition and cherry picking. The argumentation presented in this article aformentioned is solely based on deception, a crooked way of persuading others to see medicinal marijuana as displeasing to Jehovah.

Perhaps the Watchtower can use the same advice for the use of medicinal marijuana as they do for the overindulgence of wine?

"Temperate Use. Moderation in all things is a Bible principle. Even honey is no exception—in moderation it is good; used to excess, it is injurious. (Pr 25:27) So also with Jehovah’s gifts of wine and strong drink, they must be used as he directs. Overindulgence and disregard for Bible principles in the use of these provisions brings Jehovah’s disapproval and leads to debauchery and death. The Bible is very emphatic on this matter, both in its precepts and its examples.—Pr 23:29-31; see DRUNKENNESS."

Since logical fallacies are being used in this particular article, it definitely lacks validity, a lack of soundness. Who can follow such weak advice/argumentation given by the Watchtower on this particular subject matter?

• I_love_Jeff
    I_love_Jeff

“Give intoxicating liquor, you people, to the one about to perish and wine to those who are bitter of soul,” not as a mental stimulant to make such ones more conscious of their misery, but, rather, as the proverb says, that they may ‘forget their troubles.’ (Pr 31:6, 7) So the Watchtower says that wine will help you forget your troubles?? Why not apply the same advice to a plant that Jehovah created?

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Why not just do what you want, because you want to? Become aware of the risks, the side effects, get fully informed. In some parts of the world it is legal others it is not. I would advocate staying in the law and not taking risks to your health you would regret. For sure however, option one should not be "What do 8 old window cleaners in Brooklyn think I should do about 'x'"

snare x

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

I think that the use of Medical Marijuana is ok in WT land. They just don't want you to smoke it.

The drug name for medical marijuana is "Cessamet". It comes in tablet form. However, some complain that this form of the drug doesn't quite give you the same effect as in smoking it.

I feel that if a person is in pain, and if smoking the drug is the only way to mask that pain, why is this not permissable?

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Da org only uses the negative info so as to support it's "doctrinal" dogma, which we all know. So in the case of medical marijuana, the "nu-lite" is that if one uses only 'fractions' of the plant, it's ok. But it's a df'ing matter if you accept 'whole' marijuana. Also, while one can accept 'fractions' of the marijuana plant to improve one's life, it is a df'ing matter if one donates 'whole' marijuana to another suffering person! Just saying.....

eyeuse2badub

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

The article discusses the use of drugs for pleasure, not the medical relief of pain.

I have sometimes thought that an argument to show the difference between a restriction of blood for food and for medicine, would be to say that - " One may not take drugs for pleasure, but the same substance in controlled amounts may be found in prescibed medicines. Would you stop a loved-one having morphine for severe life ending pain ? The same substance was a drug of choice in Victorian times

Today, if marijuana could be legally obtained and applied by a doctor, I do not know if the W/Tower has commented on it?

• I_love_Jeff
    I_love_Jeff

BluesBrother, right off the bat they dismiss drugs, which includes marijuana, as something that is "not deemed medically necessary"!!

"Definition: There are various definitions of the word “drugs.” In the sense being discussed here, drugs are nonfood, mood-altering substances that are not deemed medically necessary but that are used in an effort to escape from the problems of life, to get a dreamy feeling, or a sense of well-being or of elation."

• ?evrything
    ?evrything

If its legal in Colorado then its not a drug per se. If a witness has an edible is that disfellowshipping offense?

• truthhurts13
    truthhurts13

I do business with the jaydubs up in Humboldt all the time. I own a dispensary in Cali. and YES there are plenty of jaydubs that eat brownies, grow plants, etc etc. 2 of them I know for sure are regular pioneers because they told me. They said the elders say its ok because it conforms to "the law of the land"

Talk about a UNITED ORGANIZATION

• I_love_Jeff
    I_love_Jeff

AHHH thank you truthhurts13

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit