The truth about Hispanic JWs in the United States

by Hecce 58 Replies latest jw experiences

• Hecce
    Hecce

I will like to share some facts about the Spanish Congregations in USA. There is a feeling that there is a lot of increase among Hispanics and that is a mistake.

The growth in the Spanish Congregations is stagnant, it was massive during the 90s but for the last few years mostly children and relatives of the publishers are coming in as new publishers.

The Hispanics are a subservient class to the English speaking witnesses, when there is work to be done they will always be assigned to do the manual and heavy labor. It is very difficult for a Hispanic to be supervising Anglo brothers.

The same applies to the operation the KHs that are normally shared by the two groups, an American brother will mostly be the determining force in all the decisions that are taken.

Something that is worth mentioning is that a lot of the Spanish Brothers in positions of authority are “little Caesars” and are quite abusive to the flock.

There is a lot more to be said but I think that this is enough for know.

Thanks for reading

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

John 13:35 in action!! The Hallmark of a Witness is the preaching work. The Hallmark of a Christian is LOVE!!!

• Theredeemer
    Theredeemer

Yep. I belonged to a spanish hall most of my life. After moving to the english, I saw how they are looked down upon by the English speaking Bros. And yes the "Latin" machismo is very evident in many of the elders.

Its funny to see how, although there are thousands of Mexican immigrants in our area along with the thousands of spanish only Americans, many are choosing to help the Filipino and ASL groups because the need is great, despite there being only a few hundred of those. I helped start the ASL group and there are literally 60 non deaf JWS and 3 deaf( two are studies). They have had zero converts in the 3 years of existence. Its a special badge on the JW if you part of those groups. Yet the spanish halls are in decline. Again, being a witness now a days is all social status. Its a social club. I swear that most of the people who attend the ASL are thick frame wearing, latte drinking, poser hipsters. If only I could post some of thier pics from Instagram here! I feel so sorry for them. They are literally a joke in the "worldy" ASL community here in town.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thanks for the info Hecce, I wonder how the "foreign language" (< that title alone says a lot !) Congregations are getting along here in Europe.

I heard that growth has slowed here too, many joined simply to learn English on the cheap and then left.

I also heard that the eastern Europeans were very insular, did not learn the local language, and almost ran a religion within a religion. There seems to have been a bit of tension with a Portuguese congregation and an English one locally, the sharing of a K.H not going well.

The perceived growth in these Congregations when they were first set up was heralded as proof of Jehovah's blessing and of overall growth, I wonder how it is viewed now ?

• ?evrything
    ?evrything

Same reason there are no black angels and god is always white lol

• JustVisting
    JustVisting

Hey Hece, I like your login name, I just got it! I was in Spanish congos and can confirm what you are saying. I can attest to that, I saw it during the Rosenberg Assembly Hall construction, etc. , etc.

• pixel
    pixel

Amen to the OP and The Searcher nailed it.

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Some of the spanish speaking groups are starting to recognize this and use their shear force of numbers to make changes. Good for them! Again, as the Searcher says, we are seeing the love in action...

• Londo111
    Londo111

I do wonder if in other regions of the US, Hispanic congregations are growing. English-speaking congregations seem to be stalled and slowly declining, congregations are being merged together--so unless the US numbers are cooked like some believe the tiny growth percentage in US publishers must be coming from somewhere else.

Unfortunately, there is no way to get at those numbers to quantify them. We only have local anecdotes to go by.

• Hecce
    Hecce

Thanks for your comments.

Hispanics are no different that the american JWs and the great majority are in, as stated for the "social club". The zeal and work ethic that they had before is gone and a lot of them are opening their eyes to the constant financial abuses and demands.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit