Panic Attacks? It's Probably Only Your Heart...

by Englishman 27 Replies latest social physical

• a2j88
    a2j88

Yes I to have a panic disorder. I do remember that my med. was zoloft. After i took it i had it for 1-3 years. When i quit it my panic attacks became less frequent and not they are rare. do you think this is really MVP I know my there is heart problems in the family and that the panic attacks seem heredity too.

"A like can travel halfway around the world before the facts can get their boots on"-Mark Twain

• LDH
    LDH

AJ if you read the link I provided you will see that panic disorders CAN be one of the symptoms of MVP but not necessarily.

Only your doctor would know for sure. I have never experienced Panic attacks and the only time I have been able to tell I was having the palpitations period is when I was pregnant.

Panic attacks are a real and treatable condition.

MVP is NOT, I repeat NOT a 'heart condition' in the traditional sense of the word. It is a variation of normal.

Please read the link I provided for Plm.

Lisa

• mommy
    mommy

Eman,
    I am glad you brought this subject up. You are correct in saying that currently those who have any heart condition, be it MVP or heart murmur, irregular heartbeat, the list goes on, before dental work is antibiotics. Any person who would take the chance of infecting thier heart by not taking antibiotics should just play russian roulette. The risk is too great, we are talking about your bloodstream here! When dental work is involved the bacteria can easily access the entire body and as you said pool in the heart.

Lisa,
    With all due respect, your condition may not be the same as the next person with MVP. Please just be careful what you relay here. If anyone is willing to take a chance based on your diagnosis and what your DR told you, then that would not be good. A person with palpatations are also at risk for blood clots, which can travel to the brain stem and cause stroke, or even get lodged in the coronary arteries and cause a heart attack. I realize you added a disclaimer already, I just felt the need to reiterate what you said. Your condition is not that severe and seems to only be noticeable when pregnant. There are others who have a more severe form of MVP, and your DR's advice would not be the same for them.
    wendy

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Eman,

Mrs Ozzie also has MVP. It's quite severe in times of stress, she finds.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

LDH

Thanks for the Link I put it in my favorites and will be skimming through it later.
    plm

• LDH
    LDH

Mommy,

AGREED which is why I stated twice to see your own dr....However, my Cardiologist is Board Certified blah blah blah and his own remarks are similar to "Well if you don't take antibiotics every time you cut your toungue or mouth, it's the same thing."

Also I should mention, bleeding gums are a sign of periodontis, and if your gums are bleeding it only makes sense---if blood is getting OUT then bacteria can get in. The same thing for people who HAVEN'T been diagnosed with MVP. Bleeding gums are a sign that YOU DON'T BRUSH your teeth enough.

However, MVP in folks diagnosed with it tends to cause them to believe it is more serious than it is in fact. MVP CAN lead to symptoms of panic (Especially if you can FEEL your palpitations--that alone is enough to scare most people.).

But the reality, EVERYONES heart skips a beat or catches itself now and then--and I wouldn't want someone with a fluttering every now and then to think they're going to die tomorrow. (Which could lead to a panic attack, LOL)

Which is why I suggested a visit to YOUR OWN DR who knows your medical situation.

Lisa

• Englishman
    Englishman

The thing to remeber is that MVS need not have any noticeable impact on your life at all, other than taking care with contact with blood infections.

I was just relieved that I knew what was causing the strange sensations. It might be over-simplified, but knowing that MVS flutters can resemble fear flutters - and then tip one into panic - meant that for me, the besr solution is to just carry on as normal.

So, I zoom up and down me ladder a couple hundred times a day (charging handsomely!). Sometimes I work right through till just after lunch!

Englishman.

• Hmmm
    Hmmm
    Bleeding gums are a sign that YOU DON'T BRUSH your teeth enough.

When I brush my teeth, my ears bleed. What does that mean?

Hmmm

• betweenworlds
    betweenworlds

Hey E-man thanks for the article.

Lisa, I had a similar thing happen to me while I was pregnant. I had mitral valve prolapse diagnosed while I was in my teens and I never really had to much trouble (occasional heart racing, and flipping) But when I got pregnant with twins my heart went crazy! It would race close to 200 beats per minute sometimes. I was already in the hospital because they hospitalized me at 25 weeks as my twins were a high risk pregnancy due to being monoamniotic, so they had the cardiologists come in and put a monitor on my heart and do echocardiograms, etc. To make a long story short they couldn't figure out what the heck was going on lol! I had more trouble after the boys were born as well with huge palpitations and tachycardia and after a lot of workups it was finally decided they weren't *the dangerous kind* thanks heavens! Scary awful feeling none the less. Haven't had any symptoms in quite some time. It seems to be getting better the older I get....Hope it stays that way :-)

• LDH
    LDH

Between--Eman--Plm

Yes it is a good thing to know that your heart palpitations are normal etc. and not a reason to be freaked out.

The funny thing was my cardiologist telling me about people who say they have heart palpitations, he puts them on monitors/gives them ekgs, everything--but there is NOTHING there. Those are the people with panic attacks.

BUT I suppose if you were prone to anxiety and your heart started racing, it could really flip you out.

Also I find it interesting that EVERYONE has these "pvcs" but only a certain percentage of the population can feel them. I am VERY sensitive with my body. My OBGYN calls me "ectopic" which is just another word for "annoying," (not really LOL) because I am HYPER sensitive to EVERYTHING.

Especially ANYTHING touching my skin. When I was pregnant I got hives covering my entire body for 3 months straight, I was ready to go to the looney bin as I couldn't take anything for it.

I'm wondering are you guys the same way? Do you have what you would consider to be heightened senses when it comes to your body? I could tell you some other stories too.

Lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit