Books

by eyes_opened 12 Replies latest jw friends

• eyes_opened
    eyes_opened

Thanks critter. I was wondering about that one! Does that have the same info in it as Crisis, or is it new stuff? Cause I'm reading Crisis now and was wondering if I should get that one too.

Thanks

Eyes

"One Persons Heresy Is Anothers Truth"

• Xandit
    Xandit

COJs books are certainly meaty. It would take considerable research to verify every thing he says. I've got the newer version of "Gentile Times" I'd like to see the one of the older ones because he apparently addresses "The Lies of Ptolemy" in that one.

I think "In Search of Christian Freedom" needs a good editor, too wordy.

For my money, Penton's "Apocalypse Delayed" is the best of the lot.

Reed and Rhodes are a waste of time and money. Haven't read Morley.

Edited by - Xandit on 14 February 2001 0:34:11

• Simon
    Simon

I think Crisis of Conscience is more slanted towards Fred Franz's personal story whereas Christian Freedom documents the organisation and what they did.
    Apocalypse Delayed is probably the best history of the society from before it's foundation and the influences on it through Rutherford and all.
    Gentile Times is a thorough disection of the 607 / 1914 teaching that the whole belief system & 'authority' of the governing body hinges on. ie. if 607 wasn't the date then christ didn't come in 1914 and the GB aren't the FDS... I think it's well researched and honst.
    It's interesting to read about the Gentile Times saga in Franz's book - Carl Olaf sent the manuscript to bethel as a genuine brother highlighting what he saw was an honest error in doctrine. Boy was he wrong! He and everyone who had read it was Df'd - really 'keep this quiet / cover this up' stuff.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit