Books

by eyes_opened 12 Replies latest jw friends

• eyes_opened
    eyes_opened

Does anyone know if the books written by Carl O. Jonsson are any good?
    I looked at the descriptions at Amazon and they look really fascinating. Was wondering if anyone here has read them and what they thought. I've just started Ray Franz' book Crisis of Conscience <the one printed in 1998> I'm only up to chapter 3 but I'm amazed already at what I am reading.

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions

Eyes

"One Persons Heresy Is Anothers Truth"

• RR
    RR

I have read them all, I don't subscribe to his views, although the Society has yet to answer any of his claims, which makes him look right and they wrong, I do know that the Bible Students did write a thesis on the 607 date, and although Jonnson mentions the book in his second edition, he never answers the charges, since the book is only available via the Bible Students it is a little known book.

• eyes_opened
    eyes_opened

Thanks! They do have it at Amazon now though.

• eyes_opened
    eyes_opened

How about David Reed, Ron Rhoades, Robert Morey? Some other names I just turned up at Amazon.

• ianao
    ianao

eyes:

I've read one of Rhodes' books. He is better at using his noggin than other writers, but he tends to follow traditional views, despite leaps in logic and common sense *shrug*

Interesting read though:

"The Complete Book of Bible Answers"

ISBN:1-56865-661-0

• waiting
    waiting

Hey eyes......

Gawd, girl. I looooove your picture. Kudos to a secure, witty, woman.

waiting

• TR
    TR

I read Jonsson's "Gentile Times Reconsidered" and "The Sign Of The Last Days- When?" I was fascinated reading both books. However, I'm not a researcher or an ancient language scholar, so I don't think I'd join his cult quite yet if he started one. He does try to go out of his way to discredit the WTS's doctrine, though. And THAT is very cool.

TR

Edited by - TR on 13 February 2001 21:45:27

• Grunt
    Grunt

Waiting, you sound like you have read some of the same books I have as well as having been raised in the same area. Did you ever read any of Pat Conroy's books? The kids in one of his books were always being shocked by the teacher and using the same expression. "Oh GAWD Mr....." I think it was "The Water is Wide" or something like that. He is the guy that wrote Prince of Tides too. I like the picture too, Eyes, and share the sentiments expressed by Waiting. You know, black men were given sufferage before either black or white women, which is amazing to me. My mother, my wife, my daughter, I just don't understand how any man could ever discriminate against women having had these relationships. Much less act as though they weren't as smart or capable, anyway, ample proof on this board to the contrary. Seven, Redhorsewoman, Waiting, Mommy, ladies of Discussion all of you are the hmmmm, almost said heavyweights!!! All of you are the some of the best Talent on the board.

• eyes_opened
    eyes_opened

hey all!
    Thanks for the input. Trying to decide which are worth spending money on, and which are baloney, hehehe. And thanks for the compliment waiting You guys are the best!

Eyes

• crittersitter
    crittersitter

in search of christain freedom was a great book..your eyes will really "pop" open. it is a huge book, but i got thru it and i cannot tell you the weight off my shoulders, knowing that leaving the org was the right thing to do, and my bible trained conscience was a well honed tool.
    i like also that he does not write(ray franz) with anger or hate. he really has the love of Jesus in him.
    at least i think so, and the info was detailed and documented

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit