JW CHILDREN GET PRESENTS ALL THROUGH THE YEAR. REALLY?????

by NAVYTOWN 36 Replies latest watchtower bible

• finally awake
    finally awake

We used to buy our kids toys pretty much whenever they asked for something. When we went on vacation, we bought tons of souvenirs. Nice stuff, too-not just cheap junk. We took them to Disney World and other exciting places. We tried really hard to make sure they weren't deprived of material things or fun experiences. Their childhoods were still crappy though and they are much happier now that we are out.

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

I myself used to take gifts and sweets and silly little presents and things for the kids, elderly ones, poor ones etc.. in the hall.. and the sheer look shock, embarrassment, uncomfortable expressions I got showed me that they were just not used to ever receiving anything from anyone.

Many parents were also embarrassed by my daft generosity because it highlighted that they themselves rarely gave spontaneous gifts to their own family members.

if there ever was any gift giving in the hall or out of it it was done with a whole lot of obvious pomp and ceremony and the giver made sure somehow that everyone knew about it.

The organisation the way they teach people to be about money and material things produces a society of people that are mean and stingy beyond imagination.

• wearewatchingyouman
    wearewatchingyouman

We always got toys, and other gifts, all year long. We had a weekly family bible study and read the daily text(though I'm not sure it was called that back then) in the morning. Guess we were the odd JW family. Overall, I never considered the life to be all that bad as a kid. I just could never reaaly bring myself to believe in it all.

• 3dogs1husband
    3dogs1husband

We were poor but my mom wanted us to have things and my grandmother was generous..... HOWEVER I just said to my husband today NOTHING compares to christmas thru the eyes of our children - there is magic in the air and its not only our family that is playing along to make a special time and a memory for them its the WHOLE of our world conspiring to provide it....from the community parades, the neighbors, the school, their friends, TV, the internet, SANTA - oh my what a time and what an awe inspiring month it has been <3

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And they think toys are a "waste of money". Even when the witlesses save for them--also, "they should be in field circus instead of working for material things".

Now, if toys are a waste of money, what about suit dry cleanings every week? Dry clean just 8 suits, and you wasted that guitar and amp. Or, donations. I have seen idiots placing big bills in that box to defend pedophiles as if they were nothing, yet they don't have enough to celebrate the holidays. If I were to take the money that they put in that box and spend it on gifts at the end of the year, there would be plenty. And gas--I wonder how much gas the jokehovians waste in a year driving to and from boasting sessions and while out in field circus. That 10 British toilet papers--roughly 15 United Tyranny of Stupidity toilet papers--try saving the gas from just one week of boasting sessions and field circus. Chances are, you will be able to pull off that amount in one week--more likely in 3 days in Britain where gas prices are even higher.

Here in the United Tyranny of Stupidity, it costs good money to dry clean and replace suits. Even going to Cadet, dry cleaning for 6 toilet papers is gone--it is closer to 12 with inflation these days. One suit a week, you are wasting 600 toilet papers that could be used to provide enjoyment instead of being wasted, while it still has purchasing power. Throw in another 80 or so for replacing that suit (and probably more if the children are pious-sneering). Add at least 2 US gallons (8 liters) of gas per hour of field circus, and you are throwing away plenty of money. Automobile costs total around one US toilet paper per 2 US miles, probably more in city driving while in field circus. Before long, you are looking at wasting more money per member of your family than what the average worldly person "wastes" on Christmas.

And that doesn't even include the a$$emblies. Think of how much is donated at those wastefests. With the money wasted on hotel room alone for a family of 4, I could easily buy a Barbie doll set and a model racecar set for the children. And, with the amount waste on extras (going out to eat, donations, and the like), I could easily afford a Smart Phone for each child--along with a basic usage plan for the year. These things are expensive to attend, and there are three of them per year. Donations are coerced out of everyone--there is the mandatory deficit at the end of the last day's morning session, so they have to go into debt to donate even more.

Now, going into debt for Christmas is not smart. But, going into debt to donate more to that monster of an organization? That is the ultimate in wasting of money that could have been better spent on next year's Christmas presents. As for the "presents" too many of them do get, I don't think field circus bags, new suits, and those My First Door and My First Placement books are not acceptable.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

WT Wizard, EXACTLY... how can JW parents be so dumb or self delusional, I hate it when they say "they all look so stressed" and "how do they afford it!" And "its all just so commercial!"

their religion is all commercial, THEY may struggle to afford it because of a poor wage in a poor job due to no higher education. As for everyone running around at xmas looking stressed, My experience us that people are usually super happy... The ones that are strained are so because they want to give their family and kids a great crimbo!

How does it compare to the stress and cost of a district assembly. Exactly! JW kids have a miserable time! Not even a day off all week.

Now i just think 'how dare you point fingers at non jw parents!'

• Jen1
    Jen1

No year round presents. Gifts on parents wedding anniversay. Present day near December. Fire works party after new year. And the big dress up winter party in Dec/Jan.

Birthdays no gifts.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

When I was slightly older, the materialism was gone. Any old gift wrapped would have nice as long as it wasn't a boys gift. The public schools had Christmas celebrations. Arguments always broke out about who received an opposite sex toy. It was the wrapping paper and the idea of Christmas. I participated in the school Christmas exchange. Once when I was in the hospital, a Santa came around and gave the children presents. I thought I was so fortunate.

I am so glad for the fiiremen, school, hospital for allowing me to celenrate Christmas. There were always the worse family arguments on Christmas, too. My parents' message was inconsistent. No gifts, no Santa but pile into the car or take the bus and see the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree for hours. The skating rink is expensive. My brother and I logged countless hours looking down on the lucky kids on the ice. When I was twenty, my college sponsored a trip downtown to skate. I was first in line to go. It seemed surreal to skate in sacred territory. I felt like crying. My parents could have afforded one skating session over all the years. I spent my childhood looking at other kids living a life.

Was there a special WT stating that we received toys all year? I'd rather have Christmas toys and birthday toys. There is such a thing as Christmas spirit. Every year I read my hardcover edition of Dickens tale. My father was certainly Scrooge. No Christmas angel visited him.

• Bruja-del-Sol
    Bruja-del-Sol

In a way my siblings and I got a lot of things we wanted, but the downside was that it was always used against us. When you received a gift, you could easily loose it within minutes by a wrong expression on your face, a wrong word, something you did you weren't supposed to... So the toys and stuff were used as blackmail items.

I also remember that one day my parents bought a new stereo set. They offered me their old one, so I was thrilled. But then they asked how much money I had saved... and I told them that I had 100 Dutch guilders in my piggy bank, so I had to pay them all my money and then I got the stereo set with gramophone. When I left to be married at 18 I had to leave my stereo set for my younger siblings. My parents acted like it wasn't mine and because I was having lots of problems with them I didn't want this to be a new subject to fight about, so I gave in and left it (along with lots of other stuff that was mine, like my dollhouse, they just 'confiscated' it all). And I regret it up until today.

I've also had enormous trouble with my parents because I bought a record one day. I'd saved some money and I wanted to have it so badly, but I wasn't allowed to. So I went and bought it and told my parents that a friend had given it to me as a gift. But I was very bad at lying (still am), so my mother sensed that I wasn't telling the truth and started an interrogation... and finally I told them them truth and that they actually pushed me into doing it this way, since I wasn't allowed to spend my own money the way I wanted to.

So, yes I got presents, but did I really like it??? Hm... not really.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Hmm a pattern is emerging....

i loved music, had to BUY the old UNUSED family stereo. Set it up in my room, got some headphones. The end of the week it was decided I got too good a deal... Had to 'sell' it back to my parents.

i look back now... WTF!!?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit