Christendom's Buildings

by lambsbottom 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

*** jv chap. 5 p. 59 Proclaiming the Lord’s Return (1870-1914) ***

In 1908, therefore, several representatives of the Watch Tower Society, including its legal counsel, Joseph F. Rutherford, were sent to New York City. Their objective? To secure property that C. T. Russell had located on an earlier trip. They purchased the old “Plymouth Bethel,” located at 13-17 Hicks Street, Brooklyn. It had served as a mission structure for the nearby Plymouth Congregational Church, where Henry Ward Beecher once served as pastor. The Society’s representatives also purchased Beecher’s former residence, a four-story brownstone at 124 Columbia Heights, a few blocks away.

The Hicks Street building was remodeled and named the Brooklyn Tabernacle. It housed the Society’s offices and an auditorium. After considerable repairs, Beecher’s former residence at 124 Columbia Heights became the new home of the Society’s headquarters staff. What would it be called? The Watch Tower of March 1, 1909, explained: “The new home we shall call ‘Bethel’ [meaning, “House of God”].”

• Splash
    Splash

What was that Awake! article saying that a dedicated building could not be given a new use, especially religious?

It was in relation to Christendom using Greek buildings at the parthenon?

Memory fails me for the moment.

Splash

• scary21
    scary21

When I was growing up we had no KH. For years the con. saved and saved but never could save enough to build a KH.

We shared one in sw Detroit. It had cheap tiled floors and medal chairs . It sucked because we had second dibs on meeting nights.

The whole time I went, meetings were on Fri. nights. Finally after I moved away they bought an old funeral home. At least the next 1/2

generation got to go on Thursdays...........lol

Sherry

• mistified
    mistified

friday nights is the worst night to have the ministry school. i'm so sorry about that. bet a lot of kingdom halls used to be churches in every state. It goes to show you how much they are just desparate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit