introduction

by monis 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• monis
    monis

Hello! i am 39 years old. I converted to the JWs when i was in middle school due to a witness in school and my family having issues at that time. i found instant friends and family at the kh. i pioneered out of HS, much to the chagrin of my well educated family, who all have at least Master's degrees. i got married. my sociopath husband became an elder fast, probably due to his charm and good speaking abilities, all the while committing fraud in his business activities. when i divorced at 30, i started "getting to know" the world a little, all the while still pioneering. but by that time i was barely going out in fs; i would make up a number every month when i turned my time in. I also started finishing my BA, which started opening my eyes even more, as i was actually thinking for myself for the first time in a long time. i met my current husband, who attended a spanish cong nearby. After 3 months if dating i became pregnant. We lied to the elders and were reproved. We got married right away. as soon as i realized i was expecting, i started analyzing how i was going to raise my child. i knew that i just couldnt raise him a Jw. i started fading immediately. i used sickness as an exuse a lot, even though i am healthy as a horse. i finished my degree that same year. When our second child came, i literally couldnt stomach the meetings anymore. I became inactive two years ago. my husband followed shortly after, although he still longs for the "truth", and feels like he will go back someday.

This year has been awesome. we had Easter at our house, birthday parties for the kids. my husband really protests, but ends up going and having a good time. He said he feels like a "mundanote" (a huge worldly guy). I have not shared with him much of how i feel or what i now believe. i would like to, but i am at a loss as to how or what to say. I am afraid that he will become defensive and clam up. the only thing i have shared with him is if one (or both) of our children was to be gay, i would never shun my own child just because of that or because he has chosen a different path in life.

Anyway, this website has been awesome. i hope to learn more about what and how to share withmy husband, who really is a great person.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Nice story, lots of good advice on the board on helping out our loved ones.

Unfortunately the mental bonds the WT instills are strong. Hopefully you can free him mentally in the year ahead.

• Ding
    Ding

Welcome!

You didn't say what you think about WT teachings now (although it's clear you want out).

Whatever your doubts or issues are, I think you're wise not to press them on your husband at this point.

Listen to his doubts and issues with the religion more than you talk about your own views.

Things that are big to one of you may seem insignificant to the other.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Hello and welcome! Glad to hear you are reclaiming ownership of your mind. :)

Be patient with your husband. He means well. Typically, there is a lot of fear that has to be worked through before one leaves, and some don't want to face it. Your example will help. Live well. Be happy.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Welcome to JWN.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Welcome monis , If you haven't read Steve Hassan's books (i.e., "Combatting Cult Mind Control", "Releasing the Bonds: Empowering People to Think for Themselves", and (his latest book) "Freedom of Mind: Helping Loved Ones Leave Controlling People, Cults and Beliefs"0, visiting his website www.freedomofmind.com, or watching his FREE videos on his website, do it now to help your husband to critically think for himself and not get drawn back to the WTBTS because of WTBTS induced phobias. The WTBTS's BITE control techniques are very powerful. If you do not have the time now, at least watch the following videos by Steve Hassan: Strategic Interactive Approach explained 2003 (1:23:23) and Roberto di Stefano, Ex Jehovah's Witness Elder interview - July 2013 (18:22).

If you do not feel comfortable planting seeds of doubts in your husband, at least plan fun outings with your husband so that he can meet more non-JWs who he shares common interests and encourage your children to make friends with non-JWs with parents who you share common interests.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

Welcome to the board.

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

Nice story. Live your life.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Welcome!

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Welcome! Thanks for sharing your story. I love to hear about escapees from the org.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit