But they are only 8 imperfect men!!!

by notsurewheretogo 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

I'm fed up of my still-in wife using this excuse that they can utter wrong beliefs and doctrines.

The fact that there are imperfect humans involved in the organisation is very much irrelevant.

We all accept, including JDubs, that these men are just men who may think and say wrong things like the rest of us as they go about their own lives. I am in no doubt if the GB are out for a walk and a very sexy lady walks by that they do a double take!

But when they come together, under the premise that when they form this 8 man group that they are being directed by Holy Spirit from Jehoover then they can NEVER EVER be wrong.

They claim that nothing is from their own originality, just like Jesus said thus everything they say comes from Jehoover and in that way, even if the vessels who carry God's directed messages are imperfect the author of the message is not imperfect and will never be wrong.

So it is one of two choices...

Either God IS directing the 8 men in the GB as the FDS and God, through his Holy Spirit gets things wrong and has to correct himself OR.....

The 8 men in the GB are allowed to put forth their own ideas as the FDS and Holy Spirit will update/change/correct as required by God...

Which one is it? The answer? It doesn't matter...

If it is the first option then God teaches us wrong things and I don't want anything to do with a diety that does that...

If it is the second one then I can't trust my life to 8 men who get things wrong and continually need correcting...thus I cannot be part of this religion.

So, in summary, it doesn't matter that these men are imperfect...the fact is they claim to be God's sole channel of communication today and that they are directed by Holy Spirit thus whilst they are individually imperfect men AS A GROUP they should never ever be wrong...and they have been ergo they are self-appointed.

You can't really beat that logic...mostly taken from Don Cameron's book Captives to a Concept!!!

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

So if they are only imperfect men (who make mistakes), there is no reason in the world to listen or act on what they say, right?

That is your reply to anything put forth in defense of these clowns running the show.

• Ding
    Ding

My comment to people like your wife is, "I don't fault the Governing Body for making mistakes. We all make mistakes. But then why do I have to believe that they speak for Jehovah and that I have to obey them without question?"

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

Both very good points and I agree 100% for them...sadly jdubs seem not to understand these points...

8 men = GB = FDS = imperfect = gets things wrong but STILL = FDS

• sir82
    sir82

But when they come together, under the premise that when they form this 8 man group that they are being directed by Holy Spirit from Jehoover then they can NEVER EVER be wrong.

Incidentally, this is virtually exactly the same principle as the Catholics' "papal infallibility".

If the JW organization were to survive a few more centuries they'd be virtually indistinguishable from the Roman Catholic church.

• adamah
    adamah

Yup, typical attempts by believers who want to have their cake and eat it, too, since the ability to simultaneously hold such contradictory beliefs doesn't require or demand logic, only the use of pseudo-logic to allow the believer 'plausible deniability'. It doesn't have to make any gobsmacking sense to anyone else, since all the believers agree to share and reinforce the delusional belief.

That's a sure sign of cognitive dissonance defense mechanisms at work, which are needed to engage in mass-hysteria movements and shared delusions. This is where Xians are told to rely on their faith, AKA just not to think about it, but trust that the dissonance will resolve (and it WILL, just as soon as they think about something else).

• Ding
    Ding

Why do JWs continue to accept the "we must obey without question the faithful and discreet slave" concept in spite of all the errors?

Is it just because they agree with the major teachings (no hell, no trinity, no war, the name Jehovah, etc.)?

Why does agreement with major doctrines require absolute obedience to the GB?

• Bart Belteshassur
    Bart Belteshassur

Is there a scripture that states that Jehovah is perfect and without sin himself. He makes a big deal of saying that Jesus was perfect and without sin, but as the GB claim they are the equals of Jesus, at least as mediators with the big J and his active force where is their evidence for their perfect anoucements. Sorry who got the old light wrong the first time?

BB

• Legacy
    Legacy

Hi,

Maybe that's just what they tell us. They are supposedly directed by God's Holy Spirit. Maybe it's just a bunch of old men behind the curtain. Does the Wizard of Oz come to mind. I'm trying to think of Jesus's disciples, did they ever mislead the congregation. Did Paul, John, Luke, Mark etc. mislead..No they were imperfect men, just the like the GB's, but only difference is that they taught what was told to them or what they had witnesses. Oh sure they had personality hang nails. That is what being imperfect is... one disciple thought much of himself another one denied Christ 3 times & so on, but never did they misquote God/Jesus or say, God/Jesus said this & I got it wrong...Yes, Jesus had to correct them on many occasions, but not about doctrine.

The org. TRIES (with an extra "S") to stick as close to the bible as possible, yet they read too much into what it says. Like there are 2 classes, the Heavenly Hope & the Earthly Hope....I don't think so. But we all have to remember the witnesses see themselves all over the bible...Certain scriptures they'll say, that's us, we are the Jeremiah class, the Noah class & so on...just buttering up the flock...I use to work for a company that we were no longer called employees but associates..that was supposed to make us feel we were a part of the company more than employees. So many stuck out their chest & said, I'm no employee I'm an associate...& all that did is make one work harder. Words can help or harm, depending on what you want from folks...They say the 8 men are imperfect, so be it, but is God/Jesus or the Holy Spirit imperfect & are they listening to them or themselves.

It's all a mind game....some fall into it & others like me...& those on this forum, aren't drinking the kool-aide..

I have been to many places of worship....ain't no place got the truth...only the bible...

Legacy

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi notsurewheretogo, I hope that you keep on venting on JWN so that your wife does start to think that you do not believe in the WTBTS.

Have you thought of asking your wife in a round-about-way what she would do if she was a member of th GB? How would your wife respond to you saying that a non-JW asked you why follow 8 imperfect men when you are imperfect and can make equally good and bad decisions since God gave you the Holy Spirit after Christ's resurrection? Isn't she just as imperfect as the GB members?

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit