Does anyone in the UK recall the JW story/urban myth

by jambon1 27 Replies latest jw friends

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

the chairman of my JC (decent man, CO now) Jeff Woodfield was in his cong Brownhills ? Woverhampton area, he was interviewed on the local TV about why he was a JW this was just before 1975, and he said if the GT didnt come by 1975 he would rip his bible up, he was given a firm talking to and he admitted he "put his foot in it" I think he was in the same cong as Peter Knowles who I met at Woodfields wedding in the late 80's. Dont believe Dave Hill has been involved with the WTS for some years and still happily performs the Slade Xmas song.

• dozy
    dozy

I never realised that Tambling was a JW (or apparently now an ex-JW )- he was on the TV quite a lot recently when Frank Lampard beat his Chelsea goal scoring record.

Knowles's story still comes up every now & again in the papers- I met him once at a convention with my Dad , who watched him as a player. I got the impression he was slightly embarrassed about his past or maybe just bored talking about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Knowles

There were a few celebrities who became JWs in the late 60's - Hank Marvin perhaps being the standout one ( still a JW & possibly an elder in NZ). It was the golden time for JWs - pre 1975 , pre internet. It shows how times have changed. Can any imagine a present day British premiership footballer becoming a JW now?

• jambon1
    jambon1

Heard of Knowles.

He had his story printed in the tower.

Such a waste.

• jambon1
    jambon1

Was there not an ex Arsenal player who studied in recent years?

Had addiction problems?

• cofty
    cofty

Good to hear that Bobby Tambling, whose name was used repeatedly to squash football ambitions as a child, did not waste his life in the cult.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

Tambling moved to Ireland some years back to manage and stayed IIRC.

• jambon1
    jambon1

My addiction to following my football club was crushed under foot when I became a JW.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

jamon1 would that have been Kenny Sansom, Tony Adams or Paul Merson?

• dozy
    dozy

"Was there not an ex Arsenal player who studied in recent years? Had addiction problems? "

Tony Adams , allegedly. http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/social/physical/32996/1/Who-is-Tony-Adams

• jambon1
    jambon1

Yip.

Adams.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit