Marriage only possible as an M.S. as a JW???

by ADJUSTMENTS 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• blondie
    blondie

I'm from the pre-1975 era when many of my contemporaries were getting married in droves. Some hardly knew each other for 6 weeks. Some weekends there were 4 weddings, once 3 on one day. One sister was told her marriage would be over soon...she's still married today, happily, 40 years. One sister who had a "proper" courtship, married an MS an elder's son, they divorced after 5 years and he never paid support. His parents helped out though. As I look back among that group of 50 couples, only 2 are still married to the original person.

Because sisters have little knowledge of the person intimately, they think a label like MS guarantees success in marriage. I have seen 10 MS marriages end, and 4 elders in the last 10 years. Some were alcoholics and wifebeaters and the BOE knew this. I remember a BOE recommending a brother known to be a pedophile as a good marriage mate. She found out before, his third wife unfortunately after.

I married a non-jw....and was told my marriage would not last...23 years and counting.

Blondie

BTW, if a baptized jw marries a non-jw that is a big no-no. You will be marked, and a talk not using your name will be given to the congregation. Of course, Joseph, Moses, Esther, Naomi's sons, Solomon, married non-Israelites although that was a no-no. No marking talks for them.

• gorgia2
    gorgia2

When I was 19 I was proposed to - well, I think that was what happened - in a young M.S.'s caravan. Just being alone in the caravan with him was highly improper - but don't worry everyone, he invited me in, sat at one end & asked me to sit at the other end, kept the door open & had his sisters waiting outside on the front lawn.

He spoke about me not being baptised & that I would have to take the necessary steps to remedy the situation. Once I'd become worthy, he would go to his elders & request permission to marry me.

I politely declined.

gorgia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit