Worst Ever Field Service Experiences

by dozy 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dozy
    dozy

Generally I found most people were pretty apathetic and often surprisingly tolerant , but we've all had some bad ones. Looking back , here were my worst couple of experiences - there probably were others but I've probably long forgotten them or blanked them off.

I was a kid of maybe 13 & it was bitterly cold & pouring with rain. I was working alone in a middle class street near my school where I knew a lot of my school teachers lived & was scared stiff at every door – half the time pretending to press bells , doing the fake knock etc. A woman answered one door and took one look at me as I nervously started my magazine presentation and slammed the door on me , telling me to “p**s off”. I remember walking up the alley way & just bursting into tears.

I was working a very rural area with an elder when I was a young pioneer ( maybe 20 years of age) and we called on a very isolated house on this weird guy with a straggly beard who seemed psychotic. He was very aggressive and threatened to set his dogs on us if we didn’t leave at one ( he had a couple of alsations barking noisily. ) I was scared stiff but incredibly the elder ( who was one of these guys determined to overcome any conversation stopper ) decided to try to pacify the guy and then got into an argument with him. I virtually had to drag him away , telling the householder that I was sorry we had called at a bad time and we would leave. I’ve never walked so quickly to the sanctuary of a car. The elder berated me afterwards for not “trusting in Jehovah.”

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

I was maybe 14 or 15, there was a medium size dog that was loose. It ran up to me and put its 2 front paws on my chest. It was very excited. Once I pet it and pushed it away, I noticed my pants were warm and wet. It pissed all over my legs and book bag.

• wearewatchingyouman
    wearewatchingyouman

I was 17. I walked up the door of a doublewide trailer in the middle of bum fuck nowhere with a Hitler quote on a plaque above the doorbell that read something to the effect of, "It's fortunate for governments that their people don't think." I thought, "Well this should be interesting.", and reached foor the door to knock. The dude proceeded to throw the door open before I could make the first knock. His head was bald, unless you count the tattoos that went from the tip of his head to his sandal covered feet. Apparently he was upset because I had visited his black neighbors before him.

He proceeded to back me off his front porch while calling me every profanity he could conjur up two inches from my nose. His favorite being nigger lover. I just smiled and nodded, which I think just pissed him off even more. I calmly opened my car door, got in, closed it and rolled down the window to ask, "So I guess you don't want this then." He looked down at my hand, and then yanked the Watchtower from my fingers. He then muttered, "Fuck off."

I threw it into reverse, and sprayed gravel all the way down the driveway while waiting for bullets to come through the windshield. Needless to say, I didn't mark it down for a return visit. I sure as shit placed that Watchtower though. Good times.

• Giordano
    Giordano

I had just rung the bell when I realized that my wet slushy galoshe Totes Geometric Mens Rubber Loafer Style Overshoes Rain Shoe Galoshes ALL SIZES (rubber bootee to protect my dress shoes when in service) had slid off of my foot. I lurched around on one foot trying to get it back on when the door opened, in a panic I slipped the wet mess into my overcoat pocket which the householder noticed. After she said she wasn't interested and closed the door, I turned to my fiancé and said "I think that went rather well".

• Pronger1
    Pronger1

I was an early teen and went to a door with a friend. The woman who answered it began yelling at us and threatening to call the police. She was an alder woman and ordered us to leave the neighborhood immediately for soliciting. It ended up getting escalated to HQ legal department.

• XstuckX
    XstuckX

My friend and I schemed every Saturday to go out in service together when we were teenagers. We usually did except when the one a$$hole elder conducted. He always split us up. We would write down the address of every abandoned house we came across, and those were our return visits. So after door to door work, one of us would give whoever was driving the address of one of our "return visits", where we would go to the back door and sit on their porch until it was time to go back to the hall. Actually that's a good experience.....sorry

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

My worst experience is when I was working the houses alone and this woman came to the door in a bikini and she didn't invite me in.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

A born again Christian invited my husband and myself in and then got down on his knees in front of my chair and proceeded to beg me to come to Jesus.

Several times I was bitten by dogs. Once on the bottom by a German shepherd and on both my ankles by Jack Russells running around my feet on a driveway.

I remember going to a magazine call of my husbands' and she invited us in. Her husband came in and was very rude. When we went back two weeks later his wife said he had killed himself.

We went out on the COs visit on I think it was a Saturday morning in February. It was -13 degrees centigrade. My three-year old nephew was so cold after a very short time that he was crying so I took him off to the sweet shop. The CO said we would all get our medals. Still waiting.

• besty
    besty

I'd be about 17 and out with older brother (19) in service. Somewhat deranged woman invited us in for a chat. Locks door behind us. Two locks. Proceeds to keep us stuck to her sofa while she had her pyschotic episode which involved a lot of bulging eyeballs, yelling and kitchen knife waving...

We made our excuses after about 30 mins...

• blondie
    blondie

Ooo, I had a locked door experience when I was 16 and with a 9 year old girl (even the girl scouts don't send children door to door any more). It was a nice lady with an apron on who invited us in, then locked the door and started speaking in "tongues." The nine year old was terrified. (me too but not as much). I manuevered to the door quietly and unlocked it and opened it, took the girl's hand and slipped through the opening. I learned no one is safe and to never go inside.

This doesn't add the dogs sicced on me, guns pulled on me, or the men in their underwear (not intentional) or the ones who were.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit