JWDEFENSE youtube channel

by wannaexit 27 Replies latest jw friends

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

If the video meets all JW current beliefs, makes the Watchtower Organization look good, and leaving negative comments is disabled, then the WTBTS could possibly not go after this one over copyright. Think Theocratic warfare.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Let's not forget that watchower uses "theocratic warfare". they will lie and cheat for the sake of not sullying their reputation. Even if its not their channel, they might let it stay because it works to their advantage.

• scotoma
    scotoma

"Teacher, we saw someone casting out demons in Your name, and we tried to prevent him because he was not following us."

But Jesus said, "He's bogus. I will make an appeal to Tiberius through the prefect, Pontius Pilate, to stop these fraudulent exorcisms once and for all!"

• adamah
    adamah

Alphaman said-

If the video meets all JW current beliefs, makes the Watchtower Organization look good, and leaving negative comments is disabled, then the WTBTS could possibly not go after this one over copyright. Think Theocratic warfare.

Well, if the channel's not using JW-produced video (eg the Sparlock cartoons, which are the intellectual property of WTBTS, and copyrighted), the WTBTS can't say "boo" about their activity without stepping on the uploader's freedom of speech, since people are entitled to say whatever they want about the WT Society, whether positive or negative, "theocratic warfare" or not. They're just not allowed to use another person's intellectual property, or violate other's right to privacy in the process.

The ONLY problem I see with the "JW defender" channel from a legal standpoint is that they're using what might be a trademarked symbol owned by the WTBTS: that little blue "JW.org" emblem. The WT's legal department could file a complaint with YouTube over it, and they could shut the channel down (usually YT gives the uploader a chance to fix the infringement before killing the user's account).

The US Patent and Trademark Office lets you conduct searches by owner, and here's what comes up for trademarks owned by WTBTS:

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=toc&state=4806%3Ah7z8v3.1.1&p_search=searchss&p_L=50&BackReference=&p_plural=yes&p_s_PARA1=&p_tagrepl~%3A=PARA1%24LD&expr=PARA1+AND+PARA2&p_s_PARA2=Watchtower+Bible+and+Tract+Society&p_tagrepl~%3A=PARA2%24OW&p_op_ALL=AND&a_default=search&a_search=Submit+Query&a_search=Submit+Query

Maybe they filed under the jw.org trademark under a different name, but it's not showing up? In fact, the WT trademarks come up as 'dead', while the Awake! trademark shows as 'alive'. I can't find the JW.org trademark? Huh....

But when it comes to copyright infringement issues, YouTube uses an automated system called 'content ID scan', which periodically compares a database of owned property that is submitted by big interests (eg NBC Universal, Viacom, etc) to ALL content uploaded to YouTube (!), examining the video files for familiar patterns that will flag it as being claimed by content owners. The owner supposedly has to follow DMCA processes, but that doesn't always happen: I've had a few videos flagged, and usually file a counter-claim (citing fair use), but the last time YouTube just yanked one of my videos without allowing an appeals process. The content owners are not complaining about that, I'm sure!

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

The ONLY problem I see with the "JW defender" channel from a legal standpoint is that they're using what might be a trademarked symbol owned by the WTBTS: that little blue "JW.org" emblem.

They removed the JW.org logo and changed it to a JW Defense logo for their profile picture.

JW Defense

They did keep the jw.org link however.

• adamah
    adamah

Dazed, yeah, I noticed that change too, but thought that maybe I had just remembered it as something different, LOL!

I looked on the USPTO website, and can't find a claim for the JW.org trademark, even though the logo claims to be trademarked, i.e. ™. Obviously I didn't do a comprehensive search, but I'm wondering if WT Legal actually filed the required paperwork to register it (although not required by law, the difference in filing for ownership pertains to the ability to claim additional legal damages that are awarded when suing someone for trademark infringement). I see the guy also uses the trademarked JW.org at the conclusion of each video, so the prudent thing for him to do would be to remove it if he didn't seek official permission to use it.

I suspect the channel also uses WTBTS intellectual property by using what sounds like a Kingdom Melody as its music (I wouldn't know, since they changed the official JW music after I left, and I don't recognize it). Of course, those images look suspiciously like the photos used in WT pubs. However, all of these are copyright issues, and the Content ID used by YouTube only examines user VIDEO uploads for infringement, and likely wouldn't identify infringement involving such still images. That kind of situation typically requires manual notification to YouTube from the rights holder, vs simply submitting DVDs with all claimed material on it to participate in the automated search for infringers.

Of course, the guy COULD claim a fair use defense, but if he's an active JW, I doubt he'd risk getting DFed by coming up on the radar of WT Legal Dept, and making the WTBTS sue him in Fed Court so he could claim 'fair use' as his defense.

If JW Defender IS an active JW, he's apparently quite willing to ignore 'Mother's' loving advice, then he's ironically joining the ranks of apostates by simply ignoring their orders NOT to "feed" the other slaves by producing such material on his own, LOL! Who does he think he is? A member of the FDS? He's usurping the role of the GB, who are SOLELY AUTHORIZED to determine where and how their message is disseminated.

So the guy is caught in a catch-22 for being a hypocrit, not "humbly submitting to their wise counsel" and producing the videos, in the first place.

Adam

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

The "About" page for the channel states:

This is NOT an official channel for Jehovah's Witnesses and the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society.
    This channel presents a defense against any false or misleading claims about Jehovah's Witnesses. In addition, it answers frequently asked questions about the Jehovah's Witnesses' organization as well as answering Bible questions.
    I am currently a baptized Jehovah's Witness in good standing, and I attend a congregation in the United States of America. The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society has NOT asked me to make this channel. I do this of my own choosing.
    For more information on Jehovah's organization and accurate Bible teachings, visit JW.org

But even if that wasn't there, the banner and channel logo are very poor quality.

• adamah
    adamah

Yeah, 'JW Defense' clearly is ignoring this advice:

*** km 9/02 p. 8 par. 6 Avoid the Pursuit of “Valueless Things” ***

6 Internet Web Sites: We have an official Internet Web site: www.watchtower.org. This site is adequate to make information available to the public. There is no need for any individual, committee, or congregation to prepare a Web page about Jehovah’s Witnesses. Some have posted the contents of our publications with all scriptures and references given in full and have even offered copies of convention material on a donation basis. Whether profit is involved or not, the practice of reproducing and distributing publications of Jehovah’s Witnesses in an electronic document is a violation of copyright laws. While some may view this as a service to the brothers, it is not approved and should be discontinued.

Note the date of that Kingdom Ministry: 2002.

JW Defense is thus ironically ignoring the loving advice offered by the FDS 11 years ago (which is what he whines about apostates doing, in his video on apostacy), and every day his channel remains up on YouTube is only a testament to his arrogant, haughty, and stubborn nature by refusing the wise counsel of 'Mother'.

Adam

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit