Interesting video on quantum mechanics

by willmarite 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

I watched it.

Johanan Raatz needs a kick in the nuts.

Theism is the logical conclusion, ..my ass.

• Witness My Fury
  • bohm
    bohm

willmarite: its a bit funny how you complained cofty did not have an open mind because he gave his oppinion on quantum woo without seing the video, yet i think i pointed out the exact error in the video and you seem to be ignoring that. Open mind indeed..

• BackseatDevil
    BackseatDevil

The interesting thing about quantum mechanics is that for those that believe in god... each move forward expands some view that proves god. for those who do not believe in god, each move forward is exciting because it's open ended to science yet to be learned.

It's like playing the child's game hopscotch on the sidewalk. With each new set of squares and numbers drawn, the theist becomes excited about reaching a new box in the game. The physicist gets excited because all he sees is more sidewalk on which to draw.

• willmarite
    willmarite

No one understands all the consequences of quantum physics.

Nobel prize winner eugene wigner said “While a number of philosophical ideas may be logically consistent with present quantum mechanics, materialism is not.”

I certainly do not believe quantum physics as presently understood gives irrefutible evidence for a higher power. Nor do I endorse all views in the video. I believe in keeping an open mind. There are many diffent views on this matter and to prematurely negate one view because it doesn't line up with one's worldview is quite rash.

Being a true skeptic is not only being dubious about things we don't agree with it is also questioning the status quo. It is questioning the establishment. Scientific thought has changed many times over the years and will continue to do so. To accept unquestioningly that current establishment thought is right in everything but perhaps a few details is quite short sighted.

• KateWild
    KateWild

marked

• cofty
    cofty

Let me sum up the video having only read the summary and a few fast-forward highlights, and tell me if I am wrong...

Double-slit experiment therefore "there are more things in heaven and earth Horatio..."

There is not only more to reality than material things and energy in fact material things are not real at all.

Therefore we are all one big collective consciousness and therefore god....

How did I do?

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

"Science doesn’t know everything … religion doesn’t know ANYTHING."

• BackseatDevil
    BackseatDevil

@cofty - "Therefore we are all one big collective consciousness and therefore god...."

Actually, according to quantum mechanics, God has ruined everything by the simple act of observation. So....

• bohm
    bohm

Willmarite: No one understands all the consequences of quantum physics.

True, but that does not mean one can pretend quantum physics say something it does not say. The video make the error of equivocating "human observation" (ie. human looking at an output of a device) and "physical observation", ie. a device such as a photon counter. It is the later which cause the collapse of the wave function according to all but a few fringe interpretations of QM (the view is akin to insisting my car only exist because I drive it sometimes).

Having created this confusion, the video keep falsely pretending the scientists who use "observation" in the later sence use it in the first, and thus the video conclude we need god to "observe" the universe for it to exist -- clearly this is both dubious and dishonest.

Do you agree?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit