The org, it's money problems ans other stuff!

by username 13 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut
    Nothing like the threat of a cataclysmic event looming on the horizon to spur on the troops and get those lagging donations, rolling in again. There's no easier way to feel saved than by giving an extra bit of cash and there's no problem that can't be made better, by throwing more money at it.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

JWdaughter - "...do religions have tax exempt status everywhere? In the UK?"

Most Western countries; including the UK, too, I think.

x

JWdaughter - "More importantly, why would that court case remove their tax exempt status?"

I didn't mean that that specific court case would remove it.

I was referring to another recent case (can't remember the client's name, but I think Irwin Zalkin's the attorney) wherein Governing Body member Gerritt Loche was called to the stand, and the WTS was requested to relinquish their database/files/records detailing all their info on past and present instances of child abuse in the Org.

Loche would not testify (either he refused, or was forbidden to by the rest of the GB), and the Society refused to provide the requested information, so the judge found in favor of the plaintiff by default.

I have every reason to believe that the WTS will continue to behave this way (like I said, out of stupidity, arrogance, or insanity; take your pick), which, in turn, suggests that they will continue to lose subsequent cases in this very same manner.

As the IRS reportedly deep-sixes the tax-exempt status of approximately 100 different organizations per year (for various violations), and since the WTS does virtually nothing that demonstrably benefits the community (which is practically the entire reason registered charities are given tax-exempt status in the first place), it stands to reason that this virtually foolproof method of winning (calling a GB member to the stand and/or the pedophile database as evidence) will - for all intents and purposes - guarantee more and more abuse-related court losses for the WTS in the near future...

...which also can't help but cast further light on just how non-charitable the Organization actually is.

After that, it's not much of a stretch to suggest that the IRS ultimately investigates the WTS, determines just how unqualified for tax-exempt status the Org has been for the past however-many years, pulls the plug on said status, and nails them for years of back-taxes (a potentially far worse outcome than, say, the handful of millions they'd have to pay out in court losses).

x

And for anyone who says that this is implausible, I have three counter-arguments.

1. Necessary reforms - particularly with regards to the protection of children - are in the wind for charitable organizations; it's not much of a stretch to suggest that the threat of tax-exempt status removal is used as the "stick" to enforce said reforms.

2. The WTS has no influential friends in high places; therefore, if the courts felt compelled (i.e. pressured enough by public opinion) to "make and example" of someone, the Org is the perfect candidate.

3. Some (albeint very few) of the things WT reps have said lately suggests a more amiable attitude towards charity than they have displayed in the past, which begs the question, "why would they be concerned about their charitable status if they weren't in danger of losing it?"

• LHS123
    LHS123
    The UK charities commission is currently investigating the jw org in the UK due to mishandling of child abuse, they're investigating 2 congs and the main org, apparently some individuals have complained to the commission also about the effect of shunning, calling ex members mentally diseased, discouraging members from seeking higher education... Raising these points to question whether this org should really be called a charity. It Will be interesting to see the results. When I called the commission for info they said several different agencies were gathering information for the investigation. This is one of the things that started me doubting. I am not sure how the U.S. And other countries work but you can see its feasible that they might also start to question if this org. can really be viewed as a 'charity'.
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Let me repost this, as it was erased...

Just think about this scenario.

An individual xian runs a business. He/she acts in a very in-xian manner. They routinely cover over their transgressions while presenting an xian face to the public. They are guilty of racketeering and covering over crimes within the company, including pedophilia.

The "Superior Authorites" are made aware of the situation and they step in to make sure justice is done. So what happened here?

1) God's "Superior Authorities" did the job for which they were divinely appointed.

OR.......

2) "Satan" and "Gog of Magog" attacked the only business in all of human history that has God's approval?

DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit