Doc says it looks like my cancer is gone! How goes the health of y' all?

by humbled 27 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

Congratulations Maeve.

If I understand you correctly you had a T4 colorectal tumour that has completely gone without surgery?

• humbled
    humbled

Sorry, double post. See below.

• humbled
    humbled

Hello cofty,

I did not have colo-rectal cancer. It was anal canal cancer--very different as it is a squamous cell cancer that developes within only the first inch-and-a-half of the bung. There is a tissue change after that. Slower growing tumors above that point. I didn't know these fine points of gut cancer. This is essentially a cancer of the skin tissue.

I thought a clear colonoscopy provided me with a three year breathing-room for cancer--Not so with fast-growing squamous cell cancers I learned.

The good news for that cancer? It is mightily affected by radiation and an "old school" chemo drug. Years ago, I understand,when doctors didn't discriminate between the cancers of the rectum and the anal canal the chemo/radiation treatments were given to both classes of tumors to shrink them as much as possible for the least amount of cutting for ultimate removal.What was discovered was that those of the anus often disappeared--entirely.

Sometimes surgery is neccesary. I heard that a woman with anal canal in my same stage ended up with a colostomy in spite of treatment.

I saw the picture of my tumor at my diagnosis. It was growing in the muscle wall between my vagina and anus. A horror show for sure.

It looks hopeful for me. If nothing else, I am blissfully ignorant of any future doom. Aside from the obvious--death.

But I am hopefully going to die in some other more lovely way.

And how are you?

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Congrats xxx really happy for you

• cofty
    cofty

Thanks for the update Maeve.

Its brilliant to hear your cancer has responded so well to treatment. Have a great christmas!

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Hello Maeve, this is very good news! I'm so pleased for you. I got my 5 years all clear last year, it's a good feeling isn't it? I wish you a very happy Christmas, take care sweetie.

Loz x

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Very good news. Cancer can be so scary and to have it gone is a great relief. May it continue to go well with you and family.

• humbled
    humbled

Thanks so very much, Snare and cofty. I hope you both have the best holiday ever.

Loz! No cancer, too? Wonderful!

Straight--scary indeed. and thought-provoking in a good way. It has changed my life, but not badly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit