The Feeling Good Handbook -- by David Burns

by Billy the Ex-Bethelite 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

My psychiatrist recommended this book, The Feeling Good Handbook by David D. Burns, MD, to me a couple years ago. This book has been mentioned on the forum several times before, but I thought I found some things threadworthy in it. It's a big book of 732 pages. Previously, I'd read and benefitted from the sections on overcoming depression and conquering anxiety. It hasn't made my life anxiety-free, but it's helped me mentally deal with a lot of issues. And it's been a long journey to get away from the deep WT induced depression. I'd come much of the way before I read the book... and I wish I'd read the book sooner.

There's another section in the book that's supposed to help the reader "enjoy greater intimacy," but in my 0% intimacy life, a 1000% improvement is still a big zilch. But I finally started reading that section and have found a lot of helpful information on how to effectively communicate with others in all kinds of circumstances. In our JW days, WT always told us the importance of communication, but never effectively presented any tools to really improve communication... unless a family bible study or working together in field serve-us was somehow effective for anybody . But I digress...

Has anyone else read this book and tried any of the communication techniques during their departure from WT?

I'd started the "exJW Psychology" threads earlier this year. With this book, I see how I could have improved some things.

• LV101
    LV101

I read his book, Feeling Good, many yrs. ago (about 1981-82) and he's an incredible psychiatrist - one of the country's best or was. It's a book one should have access to at all times. Don't know anything about the "handbook" but thank you for this info. I plan to order.

Also didn't know about your topic, "exJW Psychology" and will check out.

Thanks.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

A classic. My boss, a psychologist, recommended this to me many years ago. It helped.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Thanx Billy, will give it a look.

• humbled
    humbled

Thanks, Billy.

I ordered a used copy off Amazon for under 5 bucks. Lots of strong reviews plus yours. I'm glad you put this out there.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Sounds like something to add to my reading list.

• Perry
    Perry

Its on my shelf somewhere. Read it while I was still in. If I recall its basic premise is that feelings follow thoughts, or something like that. I now think that to be an outdated model for me. But I recall the book being somewhat helpful at the time.

• Pronger1
    Pronger1

LV101, The Feeling Good Handbook is a sequel to the Feeling Good book you previously read.

• SnakesInTheTower

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit