WT 15 June - Approves of Internet?

by Nemesis 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Nemesis
    Nemesis

I just noticed this in the latest mags (15 June, 2002, See picture below) on the top box: “If we want . . . a concordance to the Bible, we can find no better than the Internet.”

I’m just wondering if this will lead more witnesses to ‘indulge’ in some web surfing, with the inevitable consequences of them coming across some ‘critical’ matter? Let’s hope so! “Come on Brothers, lets find out some answer to all the societies teachings.” (Do they no what they are in for—will they be able to handle the real truth?)

I also noticed here in paragraph 16, after spending pages on how important Bible study is, we are “guided” to the society’s publications [paragraph 15], but in paragraph 16 we are discouraged from looking up the Hebrew and Greek meaning of words with the emotive ‘answer in a question’ technique so commonly used by the Watch Tower: “Do you think that such approaches are likely to impart deep and motivating faith?” (End of paragraph 16)

Is it just me, or have they just said, “Do as we say and not as we ourselves do”? How on earth are you supposed to fully understand anything without deep study?

• b_ster
    b_ster

Who cares about the Hebrew or Greek translation of the Bible. What matters is what we, the faithful and discreet slave, tell you. And do not concern yourselves with those three dots you see so much of (called an ellipsis by the worldly ones). There are only there for you to give pause and reflect on what you have just read.

• julien
    julien

Paragraph 16 is a direct answer to the Blood argument where the context of the scripture is used to point out the meaning of "Abstain from Blood".

In effect they are simply declaring that the author's intended meaning DOES NOT MATTER. As to how they can claim something like this which I would characterize as complete and utter bullshit, with no more explanation than "it would relegate the books to mere history" is a complete mystery; But of course it is perfectly in character for the deceptive watchtower.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Note how paragraph 16 completely denigrates the studying of Bible passages and books in context.

• julien
    julien

Looking at paragraph 17 it looks like they continue on in the same vein as I mentioned in my above message. I can't see the rest of the article but it looks like they are arguing that the author's original audience or meaning is irrelevant, and that all scriptures are applied to everyone.
    Interestingly they will then turn right around and tell their own members that 90% of the New Testament only applies to the JW elite 144000 class!!! The hypocrisy is lovely.

• simwitness
    simwitness

First thought:

This is a "Reaction" article by the WTBS, they realize that they cannot stop the members from using the net, and since they (the members) are "bible students" it is only natural to use the technology at hand to do research.

So, the quote is loaded to say "yeah, you can find stuff, but to really understand it you have to hold the book in your hands".. and of course the primary version the members have is the NWT... surely you wouldn't want to compare the translations???

They then go on to discredit the "resources" by questioning the methodology of studying... as if the "bible were written by humans" instead of being "god breathed".... sheesh... again... the bible is a big mystery to all but the FD&S... those out there don't get that anymore.

What I think the fallout will be? Just like the WTBS has managed to "demonize" everything else, they are planting seeds of doubt that the "average" member will take to heart.

Reasonable people that have any inteligence what so ever will realize that in order to understand the writing, you MUST understand the language that it was written in.

In the end, this shows that the FD&S are grasping at straws to control the members access to the "truth"...

• rmayer32
    rmayer32

Let's hope many will come across sites like this one and learn what they never ever bargained for.

-Rick

• SpiderMonkey
    SpiderMonkey
    some of them try...to conjure up an objective and supposed viewpoint that a human author of each book had in mind

um, hello? is this not what the WTS does? I seem to remember the "S.I." book having a section detailing, more or less, the objective and supposed viewpoint of each and every bible book's writer.

they get more involved in studying word origins and citing Hebrew & Greek meanings than in the import of God's message

HELLO? does that mean that I can raise my hand at the WT study and in a "comment" say something about Jesus dying on the cross? after all, it's the import of what Jesus did, not whether the Greek word means "cross" or "stake," right? the WTS cites Hebrew & Greek meanings all the time... when. it. suits. their. purposes.

SpiderMonkey

• abbagail
    abbagail

I just heard at another forum about this 6-15-02 issue of the WT, as it was the STUDY ARTICLE FOR TODAY, Sunday 7-28-02. And I was totally SHOCKED to see the WTS is DISCOURAGING looking up the ROOT MEANING of Hebrew/Greek words!!!!! Like SpiderMonkey said, the WTS HAS BEEN DOING THAT from Day One! And that is precisely ONE of the reasons I always LIKED the WTS/mags, because I felt they were really digging deep to bring to us the precise original meanings of the words! I can't believe they are doing a complete turn around on that!

AND, just like Spider Monkey said, the CROSS/STAKE wording is EXACTLY a PERFECT example! If the WTS is now saying root meaning of words is NOT important, then can we go back to saying CROSS instead of STAKE?

Will they next begin changing their view on everything from SOUL to HADES to LAKE OF FIRE?

Lastly, the Internet comment was surprising, too. Didn't a recent KM discourage the internet (the August KM?) I guess they figured in the June 15 WT: "If the rank & file are going to use the internet, we might as well plant a seed in their brain as to the ONLY GOOD REASON to use the net..." and hope that will keep everybody in line.

Those boys up in Brooklyn sure like to keep confusing everyone, don't they?

Grits

• Room 215
    Room 215

How many times have they based a WT article or series of articles on delving int the meaning of the original Greek or Hebrew word... raaham (mercy), agape/phileo/estorge (love), latreio (``sacred service''), teliotos (``complete/mature/perfect), basineo (torment), naos/heirokn (temple), etc., etc.? What the hell are they thinking?

The whole concept of urging the dubs to read the entire Bible is a laughable charade. I wonder how many hads would go up in every Kingdom Hall in response to a query as to how many have read the Bible staight through from cover to cover? Most JWs think that because they've memorized a short list of ``proof texts'' to refute a handful of doctrines, that their Bible knowledge is comprehensive.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit