Thoughts about Depression and Anxiety

by flower 53 Replies latest jw experiences

• Tinkerbell4125
    Tinkerbell4125

Flower, doesn't it make you feel good to have so many people respond to you. Alot of people have experienced the very same thing that you are going through! We all know how tough it is!
    I was raised in the org. Long story short, my non-j.w. father took his life and my j.w. mother died a couple of years ago from cancer. I'm from a big family and got baptized when I was 13. I'm 41 now. Looking back, it was a very difficult life. I've been out for alittle over 3 years and there's no going back. The whole situation is so toxic and I have to move on and find my own sense of family and happiness. I'm bi-polar and I take med's in order to manage on a even level. We all take it one day at a time and do our best. My hubby and I have moved a good distance from our families. It keeps things peaceful and *normal* here! =;o) We love them, but we love them from afar! Read the Bradshaw books, another good book of his is,Healing The Inner Child*.... they're really good. Remember Flower, there is only one you, and you deserve to be happy! You will work through this and see that life is good! I know that I have a possitive support system and I've learned to really appreciate them and life. This place is a great support also! Hang in there sweetie! This will pass and you will learn something out of it! Tink =;o)

• one
    one

flower,

You mentioned inner strengh and will power.

They both come from your brain. And i will repeat:

Keep you brain in good condition by

walking a hour a day, not need to jog. Walking in circle (track) is boring, you dont need that. You can walk part of you way home from work...

eating properly, buy a nutrition book and/or see a reputable nutritionist, QUALITY supplememental vitamins and minerals most likely will be needed. A good old book is "Lets get well" by Adelle Davis, it used to be the 'bible'. She had a chapter just for "mental disorder". Buy it TODAY. another good old book is "Stop worrying and start living". Anything else you read after that will basically be redundant.

keep yourself busy doing anything specially if you enjoy. Do you enjoy your job? much better. If not change job.

With the above recoomendations i have seen (and i have experienced) persons change their mood in a matter of minutes and improve all along.

Take the above and 'call me' in two weeks.

• beckyboop
    beckyboop

Thanks for the welcome Mouthy (and everybody else)! It's a big step for me to be on here, and it's making a huge difference for me just reading all the experiences of everyone. By no means are we alone--and that thought is the most comforting of all.

Becky

• Mimilly
    Mimilly

(((((((((Flower))))))))))
    Going through such a huge change in one's life is the equivilent of giving birth to oneself. It's painful - comes in overwelming waves -is fraught with rollercoaster emotions - it consumes you. The 'but' here is that it's worth it. Life awaits you.

It is never too late Flower. I implore you to keep reaching out, as there are many here who understand exactly what you're feeling - myself included. Take baby steps. Inch by inch, it's a cinch; Yard by yard, it gets hard.

There are days when all I can do is 'breath by breath'. And that's ok. Think of the 'birth process' - it's painful for both mom and baby, and right now you are both. So learn to be kind to yourself and allow yourself to own your pain while recording new messages over the ones the borg put in your head. Even though you won't believe it for awhile, literally say out loud "I AM someone" "I AM worthwhile" whenever those old recordings start playing.

Don't give up honey. Consider all of us your birthing partners. Reach out, lean on us. Just don't give up.

Feel free to email too. Many many warm hugs to you.
    Mimilly

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Hi Flower, first of all thank you for starting this thread. You've received such teriffic advise from very knowlegeable people. I just wanted to add that I too have had bouts of depression and instead of just giving me medication which sometimes can cause side effects, my doctor changed my diet and gave me an exercise regime and that has worked wonders for me. I even lost weight and there is now a tremendous difference in the way I feel. The difference did not take affect overnight, but gradually and slowly my though processes became clearer, I no longer wanted to be alone all the time and the future began to look brighter.

One: I beieve that the astute suggestions you posted will prove to be useful for a great majority of people exhibiting symptoms of depression and who are leary of medication.

There are though many people who need medication and whatever helps is what we need to do.

Flower, my thoughs and prayers are with you.

• flower
    flower

THanks to all of ya. You guys are the best ..really.

Being understood is a very good thing.

flower

((((hugs to all)))))

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    I know I was miserable in the org but I was safe.

You expressed yourself beautifully. This is exactly what I am going through right now, dealing with the fact that my WT security blanket is gone. I am praying that you can find a few good friends, or just one, to help you through this.

• flower
    flower

Dan,

Thanks, I have found a whole bunch here. Its helped tremendously to be able to talk about it and share the experience with people who understand. I have nothing but respect and admiration for those oldtimers who came out of the Watchtower before the internet and support groups were available. I dont think I could have done it.

flower

• not interested
    not interested

omg i feelthe sme that about alli haave to say

• not interested
    not interested

Stace
    hey i just wanted to say that if you look into the adult children of alcholics,i would like to join you in that,i have a book on it thati got from your sister it is very interesting.
    any way ill be talking to you soon
    J

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit