Living on your own

by d 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• d
    d

In earlier periods in History. Most people left home at 18 and lived on their own. but today that is not the case.What do you think happend?

By the way I do still live at home I am 23 but I am going to college and I do chip in when I can.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Back then, they did not have to pay for Cable TV, Cell Phone and Internet. It adds up. Most people can't live without them today.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Different cultures, different times. There were times when the son never really left home but worked on the farm or other family business and took on a wife who also worked there while Grandma took care of the kids for the son and daughter-in-law.

Modern culture has mostly shifted to personal space, leaving the nest, taking time in young adult years to 'find yourself' and what you want to do.

Oh, and you can still get by without paying for TV, cell phone, internet if you need to. You can also hang out at the library or Starbucks to get your internet and have a basic phone with limited minutes.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

it still cost gas money to go to Starbucks or the Library and More Car Wear. You will be tempted to buy something at Starbucks too.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Yeah, you can walk to the library if you can't afford to nurse a single coffee (or other beverage) when you need your internet. Granted that I live in a metropolis, but I don't pay for t.v. (just watch the free stuff), but I do pay for internet and the smartphones. If I didn't have the means, the phones would be basic and the internet would be gone.

Life costs, but many still move out. Some stay in order to afford to "find themself" on Mom and Pop's expense account.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

At 18 (or even 23) most young people today may only be making minimum wage (USA) which has fallen far below the poverty line when adjusted for inflation. In the past, young unskilled workers could find a "good job" at a plant or factory. Those jobs have mostly gone to foriegn shores and the ones left offer low pay and little or no benefits. Working at an auto plant used to be a good union job. The auto companies closed plants in the USA while at the same time opening new ones in Mexico & Canada. The Big-3 have bailed on the US for cheaper labor in Mexico and workers with Government Healthcare in Canada. Good paying union jobs in the construction trades have been disappearing, esp in "right to work" regions of the country.

It's a different world we live in.

Bottom line for young people: Get a good education.

Doc

• d
    d

True and the education is not a gurantee anymore.

• d
    d

To live on one's own you need a job and you have to get your finances in order.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

My generation was poor at raising children. When I was in college, the big saying was not to trust anyone over 30. I was so embarassed that I returned home after graduation. Of course, I would have shared an apartment but Manhattan is very expensive. Different cultures have different life styles. I heard that Italian men live at home until they marry. Being independent was the big middle class thing to do. Several peers lived at home and saved money for the future. Their parents collect rent money and saved it for them. It is fascinating to note the changes in generations.

The 60s was a time for youth culture. We felt we were breaking with the past. I am not so certain that we did. It felt as though we were.

• d
    d

Times sure have changed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit