Who is the faithful and discreet slave?

by wearewatchingyouman 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wearewatchingyouman
    wearewatchingyouman

When I discuss things with my father regarding whether a governing body is needed for Christians one theme that is constant with him is "if it's not the GB who is the faithful and discreet slave - who else is giving food in these days to God's people?"

I've been working on a response to this for the last couple of months and am just curious as to who Christians who are ex-witnesses interpret the Faithful and discreet slave to be, and the parable in general.

I guess i'm just looking to round out my argument and have a few different angles. Thanks!

Luke 12:

35 “Be dressed and ready*+ and have your lamps burning,+ 36 and you should be like men waiting for their master to return+ from the marriage,+ so when he comes and knocks, they may at once open to him. 37 Happy are those slaves whom the master on coming finds watching! Truly I say to you, he will dress* himself for service and have them recline at the table and will come alongside and minister to them. 38 And if he comes in the second watch,* even if in the third,* and finds them ready, happy are they! 39 But know this, if the householder had known at what hour the thief would come, he would not have let his house be broken into.+ 40 You also, keep ready, because at an hour that you do not think likely, the Son of man is coming.”+ 41 Then Peter said: “Lord, are you telling this illustration just to us or also to everyone?” 42 And the Lord said: “Who really is the faithful steward,* the discreet one,* whom his master will appoint over his body of attendants* to keep giving them their measure of food supplies at the proper time?+ 43 Happy is that slave if his master on coming finds him doing so! 44 I tell you truthfully, he will appoint him over all his belongings. 45 But if ever that slave should say in his heart, ‘My master delays coming,’ and starts to beat the male and female servants and to eat and drink and get drunk,+ 46 the master of that slave will come on a day that he is not expecting him and at an hour that he does not know, and he will punish him with the greatest severity and assign him a part with the unfaithful ones. 47 Then that slave who understood the will of his master but did not get ready or do what he asked* will be beaten with many strokes.+ 48 But the one who did not understand and yet did things deserving of strokes will be beaten with few. Indeed, everyone to whom much was given, much will be demanded of him, and the one who was put in charge of much will have more than usual demanded of him.+

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

Oh, this is a can of worms, but I will bite.

The faithful slave is one of Jesus's parables. He uses parables to illustrate how men can please God.

The parable of the slave is so simple, to anyone who has ears to hear it. Like most of the parables, the meaning of this seems to be "hidden" from the wise and righteous ones who have declared themselves to have this special power of interpretation.

Anyone who serves the Master (Jesus), should consider himself to be a slave. Do what is pleasing to the master, and when he returns, he will reward you with more responsibility.

If I choose to serve Jesus, I am a slave. The idea of serving a slave, is absurd to me.

Where does Jesus tell us to serve the slave, even a faithful one?

(The JW's have mastered the art of confusion, and this is a prime example of their twisted teachings. Try explaining their belief to anyone unfamiliar with JW doctrine, and you end up sounding like a mental patient).

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Here are some posts about the topic covering many different aspects:

Take Care

• mauiboy
    mauiboy

My 2c : Jesus was and is the faithful and discreet slave. He was while on earth and continues to be in heaven. He can direct organizations if he chooses (ssems like not-so-much right now), or he can direct people or smaller groups. "Where 2 or 3 are gathered in my name".....

• Londo111
    Londo111

marked

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

WAWYM: When I discuss things with my father regarding whether a governing body is needed for Christians one theme that is constant with him is "if it's not the GB who is the faithful and discreet slave - who else is giving food in these days to God's people?"

It depends on whether the Governing Body is who they say they are. The early Christians were governed by the apostles, who in turn were led by revelation. When the Romans came down on Jerusalem, all the Christians had left. Jesus had told them to "stand in holy places," which ordinarily would have been the temple; however, he also said the temple would be destroyed.

Where were the holy places? They were where the apostles said they were, and they received that information from God. One of the major places Christians gathered to was Pella, to the north of Jerusalem, in Peraea.

The question, of course, is whether the Governing Body would be an adequate "oracle" to lead the people to safety in a time of tribulation. Having read a considerable part of the WTBTS's history, the early claims to be the Lord's official mouthpiece are not tenable. But each person must decide for himself/herself. Given the track record of the Society, I would have grave doubts.

But more to the point, there are countless ministers, reverends, pastors and scholars of varying faiths who feel they have callings to lead others. Every church on Earth feels it is giving spiritual food to others. My grandmothers used to have daily devotional magazines with short stories or essays, a final thought and then a prayer. And every morning the family would read them. They weren't dogmatic in nature, but were aimed at making people better. In many after death experiences, people aren't asked, "What church did you belong to?" but "What did you do to help others?" The Lord, ultimately, wants to know how you've served your fellow man.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Who is the faithful and discreet slave.....until the doctrine changes again?

Well it was an imaginary person in a story..... How ironic.

• BackseatDevil
  • Hortenzie
    Hortenzie

It is a parable. How we know that? First of all, it is groupped with other parables (the burglar, ten virgins, talents). Second of all, there is a possibility that he turns bad. It is a story to teach certain lessons, not a prophecy about a group of guys in Brooklyn.

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Hmm darn it,now I got to look this scripture up to see if your quoting from the NET.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit