I'm curious, when you were asked to do a demo for a Service Meeting part, how did the request make you feel?

by Stand for Pure Worship 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Stand for Pure Worship
    Stand for Pure Worship

Did you decline out of fear? Decline because you hated doing demos? Say yes even though you didn't want to do it? Accept the request graciously? Etc. I'm curious because like Walter White being the one that knocks, I'm the one that calls a sister or two on a Monday night and requests that they do a demo. Plenty of JWs won't tell you how they feel about doing demos, only telling you what they think you might want to hear. Figure I'd ask the question here.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, Stand:

What comes first to mind is Brother Last-Minute. He invariably called an hour before the meeting to ask me and mine to do a demo. We did so initially, thinking he was in a bind; however, it became a habit with him and we asked that, in future, please give us sufficient notice.

When I had SM parts, I called my people early -- two hours before the meeting . . .

Welcome to JWN!

CoCo

• Comatose
    Comatose

I usually accepted but felt very self conscious and nervous and did not enjoy it. I was really annoyed when I got asked the day of or at the meeting. I usually always accepted but was anxious and bothered.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I didn't mind doing demos as long as it wasn't too often and the subject wasn't too awkward.

I hated asking others to do demos. It was like offering them a gift-wrapped dog turd.

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

This sounds curiously like a question from someone who actually thinks about how someone else feels.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

I can handle doing a talk last minute, but I loathe demos. I don't know why. I've never liked them. I never liked asking someone to do them (though when I did, I made sure I asked well in advance), and I never liked doing them, for as long as I've been a JW.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

LQ, One of the advantages of doing a last minute assignment, I found, was that there was not much time for nervousness to build up and expectations were low.

• joyfulfader
    joyfulfader

Never bothered me. I could always bullshit my way through anything :)

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

How I honestly felt? I felt great. I felt great that I could use my talents and be recognised for them. Because I wasn't born with a penis I couldn't share my ability to speak fearlessly in front of a crowd to benefit the congregation. I have always been able to speak fluently with no notes or practice too, something very valuable in the workplace. However since I had no penis, I could just sit there and watch doofus penis-wearers bore the crowd and mash the English language, frustrated because so many JW women could run rings around these people whose only qualification to give speeches was they had a dick.

I was a nobody in the congregation because I was a woman (single too, which is lower than married, until I was married) not pioneering and had no family in the cult. I got left out of a lot of social things because I was just one, with no family (so if one member of a JW family gets invited, the whole lot do too by association: I was overlooked for just about everything) So to get a little bit of recognition and be included in the congregation was great. Assembly interview, demos, whatever, I liked being up on the stage. I could be a little bit of myself. I could get a feeling that I wasn't a big nothing.

• SloppyJoe
    SloppyJoe

When I was younger I felt important. Now I do whatever I can to avoid them. Recently I was asked to do one purely for a comedy skit. That was right up my alley so I accepted.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit