My Mom Wanted To Know If I Would Ever Consider Going Back.... Guess what I said....

by minimus 25 Replies latest jw friends

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

I got the first step to this when my wife came back on Sunday all fired up with the 'holy spirit'.

She says: everyone says hello and that they miss you. I don't know why?

I say: Its because of you. They are trying to be 'supportive'.

She says: Are you really happy not going to the meetings anymore?

I say: Never felt better, why do you ask?

• fiddler
    fiddler

I was asked that early on after leaving the religion by my aunt and that was after I'd already mentioned some inconsistencies I have found in the Bible itself. (That should have been 'nuff said!) So I just said: "That would be like going backwards." Didn't have to elaborate on what that meant but it didn't go over too well. I haven't spoken to that aunt in 12 years and yes..........I do miss her. I was just being honest but maybe a little too brutally honest. I'd probably change my approach if I had it to do over but in the end I think I'd still be being shunned.

• steve2
    steve2

My JW Mom who died just over 2 years ago loved me to bits. Family members would say she could see no wrong in me and if only she opened her eyes for a change!

She died believing it was "the truth" but she was concerned about its harsh policies - and at times outspoken to the elders.

In close to 25 years, she never once asked me to come back. However, every now and then, she'd look me in the eye and ask, "You okay with your life, Steve?" "Yep, Mom. Never been happier", I'd reply. "Good" she'd say and we'd change the topic.

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

My poor, kind hearted mother has asked the same thing of me many times.....she got the same answer: never.

Its the only thing that hurts my heart. They've had her locked up emotionally since that fateful day they found her; single mother of three; out in field service.

Can you feel my hate?

• freeflyingfaerie
    freeflyingfaerie

steve2, you lucky duck..sweet mother

along the lines of what Peggy said~ how about asking "would you ever consider leaving?" (probably wouldn't go over so well)

Saying Never as I have also, is probably not the smartest way to go about it either because it automatically puts their wall up and they have to step back from us to remain 'faithful'.

Saying nothing may leave doubts in their minds, leading them to believe that they may be able to talk to you to try to bring you back . But is that worth it? For some people it may be.

edited to say~ is it worth it to listen to the preaching? (not : is it worth it to go back)

• minimus
    minimus

Recently, a few people asked how I was doing and then asked my mom if she thought I'd ever come back to the "Truth". The elaborate answer that I gave was that their "Truth" changes over the years and having to study all those publications was for nothing! We wasted so much time reading interpretations that would change---just like that!

• out4good3
    out4good3

I've been living at my current address for 8 years......the address previous to that for 14.

If I was really missed, they would've stopped by for a social call.......

• freddo
    freddo

Did you say "Mom, I'll be back when Satan ice-skates to work."?

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I think if my mom asked if I would consider "going back", I'd eagerly respond, "YES. I wish I could go back to the early 80s and have a serious talk with myself about not trusting in earthling men in whom no salvation belong. I would try to convince myself back then and there to not be tricked by smoothe words from imperfect men who are only making empty promises they have no ability to deliver on. Going back, I would encourage myself to pursue an education and have my own family so that I could have a full, satisfying life now, rather than finally living a life that was put on hold for decades because I mistakenly believed promises that didn't come true."

I suppose that's why my parents don't ask me that question. One of the things I learned from Watchtower was to take a question... and then answer a different question instead.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I was told that I would become a JW again. I laughed and said, "Nope. I know too much about them."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit