Do You Dine out? If so do you return unsatisfactory food?

by KateWild 37 Replies latest social entertainment

• zeb
    zeb

I returned fish once. That is i didnt eat it. The waitress gave me a refund on the dinner!

• Perry
    Perry

Yes and Yes. Last Sunday at IHOP they brought me lukewarm potatoe soup with a glob of sourcream in the middle. I sent it back and asked for simple french fries instead. They brought me lukewarm french fries instead.

The Philly Cheesesteak was nearly rancid and had a hard perimeter around the meat. We stopped at the grocery store on the way home and picked up some buttermilk to try and get the taste out and to try and stop the burping.

Try Buttermilk if you have a bad dining experience. It really does work. The 1% works just as good btw.

• Simon
    Simon

BTW: do people know that when the server asks you 'how's it tasting?' as they walk past its so you can't later claim that you don't like it and don't think you should pay.

So, if it really isn't right you need to say something sooner rather than after you've eaten the evidence.

• rocketman
    rocketman

I returned a steak recently at a Longhorn Steak House. I ordered it medium, so I expected some rareness. But it was barely cooked at all and qualified as very rare, not medium. The baked potato was also sub-par, but I didn't complain.

Normally they're pretty good there, and I did go back and found the baked potato much more to my liking - a 'whiter' inside that kind of blooms when it's cut open. rather than a darker interior that kind of just 'chunks' when you open it.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I only do if it something I could not eat

• Laika
    Laika

I never complain and never return food. Actually I'm a bit paranoid about this so if someone on my table complains during dinner I can't order dessert in case they decide to punish the whole table.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I do not agree. If you are polite, understanding and reasonable, the staff will understand. I worked in the gift shop at Cracker Barrel for years. I was in the kitchen quite a lot. There are so many people in and out of the kitchen, a person doesn't have the privacy to taint your food. Cooks and servers usually understand that there will be problems with some meals. There is never a need to be rude to a server about unacceptable food. Now, if your server argues with you over your legitimate concern, that is different. I had to be very assertive over an oxidated egg yolk with a server. She argued and when she returned with my fresh, healthy egg yolks, she slammed the plate on the table. I did not tip her and I did let the management know.

It's been my experience that servers are usually content to vent about unreasonable diners.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Cooks, chefs, servers work hard. They know you work hard for your money, too. They do not expect you to pay your hard earned money for substandard food. Also, a restaurant will not know if their food is of poor quality or a kitchen/wait staff isn't doing its job if no one says anything. No complaint? Everything must be good.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit