GODS NAME?

by ADJUSTMENTS 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

his name is EL duderino. dammit.

• Twitch
    Twitch

What I've found interesting is the lexicon of names for god that have existed, and sometimes the grammar. Of course, each is supposdly the "true" name of god.

Which begs the question, what if you get the name wrong?

• rawe
    rawe

Hi Tammy,

"Though El being more of a general name/title, and Jah being the name given to Moses specifically."

If you read Genesis 1:1 to 2:3 you'll notice God is called "God." Then at 2:4, you see the switch to "Jehovah." Many scholars believe this is an indication of what they call the documentary hypothesis, wherein Bible material written by different sources were eventually combined and redacted.

At the last Chandler Ex-JW meetup one individual who has read a great deal about this pointed out that Israel, which literally means "contend with God", may in fact reflect a triad of three ancient Gods.

Is - for Isis (Goddess of Motherhood)

Ra - for Ra (Sun God)

El - for El (Father of Humankind)

Don't know how credible this is or not, but found it interesting.

Cheers,

-Randy

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The great Leolaia's comment on that very contention Randy :

" Yes I see a huge, huge problem with that. That's not how names were formed, by lumping together the names of three unrelated gods. This is the kind of suggestion amateurs make that philologists roll their eyes over. "

As usual, the great lady then posted lots and lots of proof, it is a very long post so I will not paste it now. Her other posts on YHWH etc and its late inception, and how the original Patriarchs worshipped the god El etc etc are well worth reading.

Read all that Leo has written on the subject on JWN and you wil be an expert !

You will also see that all the fuss about YHWH and its pronunciation and usage is a fuss about nothing, or rather, about a nobody.

• steve2
    steve2

His name is Ustillgoingonboutmyname. Even the angels find it hard saying that, so the Bible depicts these holy ones as saying "Holy, holy, holly" as they endlessly encircle His throne.You think your lot is dreary? Spare a thought for those ever encircling holy ones - no time off, no break - worse than sitting through the Watchtower study.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

" Depending on the vowels they can be pronounced like a y and a v (sometimes it can be w)Kate xx" They are NEVER pronounced like a "J." Still, I am not sure that it matters. If God wanted us to know the exact pronunciation, then it would have been preserved. There would be no need to guess. Just my 2 cents.

DD

• Shanagirl
    Shanagirl

Yahweh, Jehovah, Allah, etc..... I don't believe are anyone other than other names used by the Father of the Lie, Satan himself, to mislead all humans and churches and cause them to do horrific things in his "name".

Shana

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

People certainly do evil things in God's "name", that's for sure.

• friendaroonie
    friendaroonie

Kate lol :D <3

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hey, Adjustments. My girlfriend from Uganda was brought up very much how you describe. She would not even call her older sister by her first name. She moved from Uganda to Western Canada, which is vastly different in this regard. Heck, our pastor's last name had five syllables, so we just called him "Pastor John".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujxpk2IdDmM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit