GODS NAME?

by ADJUSTMENTS 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ADJUSTMENTS
    ADJUSTMENTS

In my culture using the first name or even last name ( we use mom,dad,sir,ma'am,grandma,grandpa,auntie,uncle) of my parents or an older and respected person in my family or circle of friends it is considered downright disrespectful!!! Even when it comes to a person who is a DOCTOR in secluar society, out of respect you would say DR. Last name, not using the first name. Not sure of how your culture does things, but If its a friend or an aquatintence of the same age we typicaly can use their first name. So my question is if GOD is the Most Holy, Supreme Being, and deserving of the utmost RESPECT more than any mere human, why do we use his (so called) name? I know JWs will say because OUR bible says it! Also most bibles and religions don't use it out of RESPECT.

• KateWild
    KateWild

ADJUSTMENTS,

Personally I don't think God cares about anyone. So it doesn't matter what you call someone who always ignores you does it? Just my view. Kate xx

• tec
    tec

My guess is that most religions don't use it out of fear.

Because it is not disrespectful to use your parents name when referring to them or when giving credit to them, or when identifying them. Though when speaking to them, yourself, you would most likely use 'mom or dad'.

But when introducing to someone else, you say, "This is my mother, Gertrude." (not my mothers name, lol)

So when telling somone about your God... "My God is Jahveh"... you are introducing someone specific. Opens up some scriptures too... making them specific, rather than generic.

Mind you, if you don't know His name, it is kind of silly to harp on others about not using the mistaken name (jehovah) that you have accepted, and that you judge others for NOT using.

Peace to you,

tammy

• KateWild
    KateWild

it is kind of silly to harp on others about not using the mistaken name (jehovah) - Tammy

How do you think Jehovah or Oy! Vey! want's us to pronounce his name?

I have read some bits on your website but nothing that specifically answers this. He has never mentioned anything to me either, so tell me Tammy how are you so sure of the correct pronunciation.

Kate xx

• tec
    tec

I heard it (someone else said it), and the spirit within me recognized this name, bearing witness and confirming this to me as true, so that is what I use, unless I use only title and description. Jah is evidenced in many names of many prophets also, as is El. Though El being more of a general name/title, and Jah being the name given to Moses specifically.

IsraEL

IshmaEL

EzekiEL

DaniEL

SamuEL

JoEL

And then there is ELiJAH... who has both in his name, meaning 'My God is JAHveh' (most translations will render that 'My God is Yahweh')

Then...

IsaiAH

ObadiAH

JonAH

MicAH

ZechariAH

Then the one who comes in the name of JAH : JAHeshua. (like Y'eshua... YAH'eshua)

So one can ask, and one can look at the evidence of the names given and their meanings.... something that is much more accurate than taking a mishmash of the tetragrammatron and the vowels of Adonai, to create a name on one's own guess/reasoning. Then insisting that anyone who does not use that name cannot be heard by God.

What does Oy! Vey! mean? I have been curious about that.

Peace,

tammy

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

................................................ photo mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The Bible, if read with knowledge of how to read ancient texts, does not make a big deal out of the Name. Its pronunciation is even less mentioned, like never, in that the early texts were of a time when they would have uttered the name with no problem, and by the time of later stuff, it had become ineffable.

This whole subject deserves a proper Thread really, there is in fact no single Name for the Almighty, why on earth would there be ? Yes, we have a name for the tallest bulding in the World, because in a few months another, taller by a few metres building, will supersede it, but Almighty God ? He cannot be superseded, He needs no single, personal name, unless He is really a God of one Nation or Tribe.

The W.T betrays the fact that they consider themselves a tribe, who needs to distinguish their God from the Gods of neighbouring tribes. They really have not moved on from the early insecure days of Israel's first foray in to Monotheism, post Babylonian exile, the Priests of Israel had to constantly battle against the ordinary people's belief in the reality of rival gods.

Pathetic, and quite sad, they do not have the confidence that their "Jehovah" is the Almighty, so they have to keep identifying which god they are referring to, by uttering the word "Jehovah" Ad Nauseum, to distinguish him from Thor, Pan, Zeus and even Jove.

• KateWild
    KateWild

I heard it (someone else said it), and the spirit within me recognized this name-Tammy

Well fine, but nothing like that has happened to me.

Oy! Vey! is how the 4 hebrew letter are pronounced when Jews swear God's name in vain. They bang their hand on their head. I know the Hebrew alphabet, so the pronunciation is depentdant on vowels.

יהוה

4 letters are.....yud hey vav hey

Depending on the vowels they can be pronounced like a y and a v (sometimes it can be w)Kate xx

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

A name, shrinks, limits, and separates one thing from another.

The Source and Fabric of all existence "God", is not a thing or object within existence. It is the WHOLE of existence.

Sure, we can give "God" a name in our minds, so that we then think we know something....but all we are doing is fictitiously making something which is infinite into something which is not.

This is not knowing, it's very foolish and very stupid. It's religion.

Religion sucks.

• ADJUSTMENTS
    ADJUSTMENTS

JWs are taught to think of God as a friend... So this way we can use his name... How foolish!!! To JWs God is brought down to our pitiful, imperfect, weak level so we can think of and call him a mere friend??? SMH!!! GOD is not a mere friend to us he is our CREATOR and LIFE GIVER!!! How disrespectful we don't even look to our parents or grand parents as a mere friend, but our patriarchs, so how much more so GOD!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit