Where Does Jehovah Live?

by Wild_Thing 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing
    When my niece was very little (over 20 years ago), barely walking or talking, my mother decided to teach her "where Jehovah lives". She would coach her and say, "Where does Jehovah live?" in a sing-song voice. And my niece learned to point up. It was like a pet trick, really. And this pet trick was always taught and performed in our living room.

Well, we were sitting in the kitchen when my sister came to pick up my niece, and my mother wanted to show off what the little one had learned. She asked her in the same sing-song voice she always had, "Where does Jehovah live?"

My niece promptly jumped down, toddled into the living room, and pointed at the ceiling fan.

A couple of years later, she thought Jehovah was yellow, thanks to the Revelation book. I am proud to say my niece is a fellow ex-JW today. I guess the lessons never quite took.

When I was a little kid, I got to look at all the pretty, comforting pictures in the red Paradise book several hours a week when I sat mind-numb at all the meetings. My lucky little niece got to look at the Revelation book, instead.

I wonder what book they use today to give little children nightmares about Armageddon?

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Oh that has always bugged me too!

Simply getting a toddler to point at the sky on command so as to get ooohs, and ahhhs of commendation is pure garbage!

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    Tell her that Jehovah lives under the Brooklyn Bridge. I could sell you that bridge.
  • yodastar
    yodastar
    It's true Wild Thing. Nightmares were in the yellow book for kids. Can't remember the name now - classic! anyways it was full of how violent God was. Yep that'll do it. I always hated the leopards on the bed bullshit, my little niece is saying the same rubbish today. It's so sad that the fairy-tale just won't come true for them and when you finally grow up and realise that fairy tales are just that, you then see 25 years are wasted or more depending on when you wake up.
  • disillusioned 2
    disillusioned 2
    As well as the books, now there showing them videos telling them they will die if they don't listen at meetings!
  • Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

The yellow book was My Book of Bible Stories. That was really the first book I was brought up on. I don't remember exactly how old I was when the red paradise book came out, but I was between 5 and 10.

The picture of Jezebel in the Bible Stories book was the one that always terrified me the most. I'm not sure why.

• Twitch
    Twitch

You could've said that he used to live in the Pleides star cluster on/near the star Alcyone, but new light forced him to move and he has since been of no fixed address.

You wouldn't have been lying.

• prologos
    prologos
    The pointing of the child's finger is actually not as wrong as it seems. Wherever you look, you look back in time toward the beginning when there was no material "where", the abode of an immaterial alleged creator. The big bang is all around us, in this curved, expanding universe. and the possible originator. Kids showing the finger.
  • Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

This post reminds me of when my little Nephew was about 4 or 5 and was learning to say Jesus and Jehovah and answer at the meeting. During the Watchtower study he raised his hand to answer "Jehovah" but when the microphone got to him he forgot what to say.

You could hear my Sister in Law whispering clues in his ear..."It's Jesus' father and his name starts with the letter J"

My Nephew thought for a moment and then shouted "JABBA THE HUTT ! "

It was hilarious of course but it showed that he didn't really understand the difference between God and a Star Wars character and was simply being programmed.

• Driving Force
    Driving Force
    I did not grow up in the bOrg collective, so my fear was the "Bogey Man".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit